C++

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Duomaxwl

C++

Post by Duomaxwl »

Do you have to know C++ to use this engine? I'm a n00b to making games. My friends from school and I wanna make this, but I wanna use something that looks better than RPGMaker2k. I was just wondering if C++ is needed, and if so, is there any SIMPLE totorial to use it? Thanks for your time!
Acki

Post by Acki »

Yes, you have to use C/C++ !!!
I don't think there's a simple tutorial for C/C++, but search for tutorials on the web, there are many of them avialable...

CU, Acki
Duomaxwl

Post by Duomaxwl »

I knew a little of C last year, but I got lost on the Varibles part, and didnt continue:(
I'm gunna get back in it, cause this engine is the best chance we have to make a game lol
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

If you got lost on variables m8 you are going to have some problems. There's an app called Game Maker that has a DLL for Irrlicht. If I was you I would check it out, look in the forums and you will find a post. Otherwise you are really going to struggle with making any type of game without knowledge of C++.

Post by Guest »

DDL? you mean I could use GM with it instead of C++? Gosh I hope so hehe. The thing with the varibles, is that I didn't know how to use them, like, I knew I could put them in, but didn't know what they would do... but if I can use GM instead of C++.. that will be alwsome!(sp?) thanks, ill check it out
Duomaxwl

Post by Duomaxwl »

sorry the guest was me:p

Post by Guest »

Do I check in these forums or gamemakers? just wondering, im gunna look in these anyway.
Duomaxwl

Post by Duomaxwl »

grr that was me again...
Coolkat

Post by Coolkat »

there is a post about it in these forums.. but im sure there is something about it at GM's forums too.

you could use GM to make a game, yet using C/C++ would be much more powerful i believe.
IcePump Gaming
under construction
Duomaxwl

Post by Duomaxwl »

I have trouble learning it... ill try again, its been a year, might be easier!
dingo

Post by dingo »

Check out the tutorials that come packaged with Irrlicht before saying C++ is too hard for you.

Also look at www.GameTutorials.com

and search around the net for some free books on C++.

There are heaps of sources for learning C++ easily.

I learnt but just going to nehe.gamedev.net and following his code and changing bits and pieces of it. That was years ago now but that is how I started.

Also check out your local library for C++ books - I'm sure they'll have something there
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-
duomaxwl

Post by duomaxwl »

w00t, thanks!
duomaxwl

Post by duomaxwl »

im sorry to have to ask this, but i need a little help. i got the compiler, and i'm downloading the engine, but there is something wrong. Dev C++ wont let me compile. it says there is an error somewhere. can someone help me? this is the code im trying to get to work.

#include <stdin.h>
main()
{
printf("Hello World\n");
}

can someone tell me whats wrong with that? im gettin fed up with this darn thing.
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

Code: Select all

#include <iostream.h>
using mamespace std;

int main()
{
    cout<<"Hello World";

return true;
}
I usually use COUT for console...
Programmer of the Irrlicht Scene Editor:
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
duomaxwl

Post by duomaxwl »

okok. at the bottom of it, it says cannot run program, or something like that. i tried another source code from the engine and it didnt work. im starting to think its a mess up with the program, cause i used it in the past and it worked, but this new version seems messed up.