Guide to write a game 3D.Help me!

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
bigbear

Guide to write a game 3D.Help me!

Post by bigbear »

Hi all,
I am a newbie. Please help me how to write a game 3D by using Irrlicht Engine. If you have a simple code, please share for me. Thanks a lot!
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

You should start by writing a MMORPG. I hear they're really easy!
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JP

Post by JP »

Read and learn from the tutorials that come with the engine and that are provided on the main irrlicht webpage and you will pretty much learn all you need to know from there.

Also this is a forum for posting about projects which you're working on so you can share demos and screenshots of them with others, so not somewhere for asking for help ;)
Image Image Image
Virion
Competition winner

Re: Guide to write a game 3D.Help me!

Post by Virion »

bigbear wrote:Hi all,
I am a newbie. Please help me how to write a game 3D by using Irrlicht Engine. If you have a simple code, please share for me. Thanks a lot!
If someone shares his code with you then it's not YOUR game. :wink: You may take it as a reference but not copy and paste.
rogerborg wrote:ou should start by writing a MMORPG. I hear they're really easy!
And... you shouldn't follow what rogerborg said lol. You should start by playing around and get familiar with Irrlicht API. A lot of things to be learned! Enjoy yourself. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
bigbear

Post by bigbear »

Virion wrote: If someone shares his code with you then it's not YOUR game. :wink: You may take it as a reference but not copy and paste.
I know that :) , if you have, please share for me, i will take it as a reference. I only need a very very simple game.

To JP: I had do it, but it only show a character and not is a complete game.

Please guide me step by step how to create a full game with one character and NPC. :D . Thanks for view my topic.
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

bigbear wrote:
Virion wrote: If someone shares his code with you then it's not YOUR game. :wink: You may take it as a reference but not copy and paste.
I know that :) , if you have, please share for me, i will take it as a reference. I only need a very very simple game.

To JP: I had do it, but it only show a character and not is a complete game.

Please guide me step by step how to create a full game with one character and NPC. :D . Thanks for view my topic.
You'll learn nothing by looking at someones code, rather you should ask for concepts (by ask I mean 'search first') and code them yourself.

I watched football on TV the other day, does that mean I am a pro-football player?
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

zeno60 wrote: You'll learn nothing by looking at someones code, rather you should ask for concepts (by ask I mean 'search first') and code them yourself.
Coding stuff yourself is certainly important, but you can learn a lot by reading the code of someone else. And starting with existing code and modifying small bits of it ain't such a bad way to get into something new.

@bigbear: Did you already check out the examples? You should start with those.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

CuteAlien wrote:
zeno60 wrote: You'll learn nothing by looking at someones code, rather you should ask for concepts (by ask I mean 'search first') and code them yourself.
Coding stuff yourself is certainly important, but you can learn a lot by reading the code of someone else. And starting with existing code and modifying small bits of it ain't such a bad way to get into something new.

@bigbear: Did you already check out the examples? You should start with those.
Sorry, I meant to comment on him asking for step by step help on creating a full game. I agree that finding code, modifying, reading and understanding is an excellent way to learn a language/engine/concept. But at least be willing to take the proactive route and do some searching on your question. It has been asked before and answered many times. Good luck.
JediTrooper87

Post by JediTrooper87 »

You also need to be aware that Irrlicht is just a 3d engine, it's not a game engine on it's own. To do that you have to include a scripting system, physics engine, AI, and other things to make even a simple game.
bigbear

Post by bigbear »

@all: thanks for giving me a lot of good ideas. I will try to search about that.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

rogerborg wrote:You should start by writing a MMORPG. I hear they're really easy!
You're so evil... :P

FlyingIsFun1217