RTCW bsp - is anyone using them?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
dingo

RTCW bsp - is anyone using them?

Post by dingo »

Just wondering if anyone was using RTCW bsps. If so what is the best way to make Irrlicht use a different version number for the BSP without breaking Irrlicht and creating a new source? (ie is there a plugin or something?)

BTW if no one is using RTCW BSPs then can it be put down as a feature request for the next release - Isn't it just a matter of allowing two bsp version numbers from the BSP header chunk?

Thanks,

Nigel (Dingo)
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

What is the advantage to using RTCW? You make them in the q3 editor anyway.. I think the only difference is the entitys?
dingo

Post by dingo »

yeah pretty much, I believe the only difference is the version number in the bsp's header chunk - it is just that I have lots of RTCW bsps I want to use and if I don't need to convert then that would be nice :)
deps

Post by deps »

Unless that verision thing doesn't matter, i think rtcw maps would load just fine. But you would also need to use plummi's bsp-entity loader. But it can't load non-q3 entities. yet.
patlecat

Post by patlecat »

Hi all

I already asked that question in vain here. RTCW maps are different in many ways from Q3, it may be true that only little has changed in the structure of the BSP file format but it's content certinaly has changed a bit. They use more advanced shaders for example etc. The GtkRadiant must be used with in it's RTCW mode to be able to produce such BSPs. I, of course tried to load RTCW BSPs in a Q3 loader and it works half the way. Many texutres are missing and some strange clipping effects also occur and that was only what I could see. Add to that new shaders and entities and you're there.
Surely extending the Q3 loader to use RTCW BSPs is no big deal for someone who knows the Q3 format. I would even gladly help there, but I cannot do the work by myself.
dingo at work

RTCW maps

Post by dingo at work »

Well, I have used the RTCW format a bit previously, when I become more familiar with Irrlicht I'll attempt to hack together some code to load RTCW properly
patlecat

Post by patlecat »

Hey kool Dingo :P

Please let us know when you have something. I would gladly help you with that if I can. Some documentation of this RTCW format would be great too.

pat le happy :lol:
dingo at work

RTCW info

Post by dingo at work »

I'm at work so I can't access the needed pages but as soon as I get home I'll post where one can find the RTCW bsp info.

If you can't wait then try googling "RTCW bsp info" or something similar. I also remeber GT (www.gametutorials.com) having something about it - may be not

Dingo
patlecat

Post by patlecat »

Hey Dingo

Howsa going with the RTCW bsp loading code? Have any progress on it?
Last edited by patlecat on Tue May 25, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dingo

Post by dingo »

sorry but I've had too much "real world" stuff on my plate the last little while, I'll be able to get back into it after 15th June when my exams are over. Sorry :(