IrrNet - Irrlicht Network Framework 0.36 (Now Windows/Linux)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The printf_s is simply a lack of compiler recognition. But the other errors seem to be really bad. Brutal pointer hacking?
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

hybrid wrote:The printf_s is simply a lack of compiler recognition. But the other errors seem to be really bad. Brutal pointer hacking?
i havn't changed anything, i was just trying to compile example1 :| has anyone got a devC++ project of any of the examples they can throw me? seems there's something i'm missing..

Edit: HAHA never mind, good old MSVC Eh :P ran it through msvc and compiled first time... thanks anyway guys
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Sorry I was sure I removed the _s, or I did atleast with the SVN version. I recommend you use the SVN because it has many new features. (Link is on the first post)

EDIT: Woops it appears that even on the SVN I forgot the printf_s on lines 44 and 47. So simply change those to printf with the _s.
Last edited by BlindSide on Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

BlindSide wrote:Sorry I was sure I removed the _s, or I did atleast with the SVN version. I recommend you use the SVN because it has many new features. (Link is on the first post)
Yeah, im using the svn.. its on line 47 of netmanager.cpp

--Removed--

Edit: Once again, it's my own stupidity... i forgot the media files :oops: ignore me
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

im back! you're not on irc so ill shout here.

I have a problem, as soon as a client connects, the server crashes..

heres what the console says:
i can't debug it, because msvc throws random exeptions about materials as soon as i run the program, but thats not where its crashing.. my program is basically the same as the example but i added a username system.. maybe ive broken something..

help?
alexionne

Post by alexionne »

I've just started using irrNet, and here are several issues I've hit:

a) not all printf's are under "if (verbose)" - which gives lot of messages on stdout/stderr potentially unwanted
b) there is no way to get size of the data in InPacket
c) there should be a way to read block of data from InPacket
d) there is no support for wchar_t* strings

I've changed NetManager and Packets to solve these issues, but I feel that this should be done in an "official" version of irrNet.

Other that those, it works perfectly :-) Great job!
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Alexione if you wish to only use the easy packet sending features I recommend irrNetLite (Somewhere in the project forums too). It comes without all the other stuff and is more streamlined for sending custom packets.
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

Blindside!!

I debugged, as soon as a user joins, it crashes here

Code: Select all

tmpnode = dynamic_cast<IAnimatedMeshSceneNode*>(getSceneNodeFromNetId(nodeid));
line 1399 of Netmanager.cpp... any ideas what's causing this?
alexionne

Post by alexionne »

BlindSide wrote:Alexione if you wish to only use the easy packet sending features I recommend irrNetLite (Somewhere in the project forums too). It comes without all the other stuff and is more streamlined for sending custom packets.
Actually, I will need both of it, and that is why I had to adopt irrNet a little :-)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Interceptor, a dynamic cast will not crash. It might eturn a null pointer, though. So did you check for it befiore using the result?
Hmm, what happens if I dynamic_cast a null-pointer? Should work, but you might want to test the pointer before, also.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

hybrid wrote:Interceptor, a dynamic cast will not crash. It might eturn a null pointer, though. So did you check for it befiore using the result?
Hmm, what happens if I dynamic_cast a null-pointer? Should work, but you might want to test the pointer before, also.
I went through it thoroughly with him and all the parts that cast a ISceneNode to an IAnimatedMeshNode would crash. Im not really sure why?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

You have to compile with RTTI enabled. Otherwise it might raise unknown type informations.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

cast from 'void*' to 'irr::u16' loses precision

i'm getting these all over in 0.36 and svn

How can I fix this?

Edit :

It happens when event.peer->data; is cast to u16. ( (u16)event.peer->data )

Never had this problem before..
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Thats GCC being annoying.... Its possible to comment that line, it should be ok...
I think there is a compile flag to stop GCC from frowning on casting issues, look for it somewhere.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

b) there is no way to get size of the data in InPacket
c) there should be a way to read block of data from InPacket
d) there is no support for wchar_t* strings
All of these are possible using the string sending functionality, it will store the size in a u16 first and then output the string which is just a char array. So it is possible to store wchar_t* and any other block of memory inside the char*, and obtain the size of this block and reprocess it when you recieve it on the other side. Though automated transfer of wchar would be nice...

Maybe I should change all the printf's to cout's to please C++ fanatics... lol