AI Question

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
IrrGamer

AI Question

Post by IrrGamer »

LOL... After all this I forgot to ask: Irrlicht DOES have AI right? I mean it's not just simulation, but also has AI to make a FPS game, right? And we can create an inherited class or something to make our own AI, right?

If Irrlicht doesn't have any AI support... I'm gonna..
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

No it doesn't :P
IrrGamer

Post by IrrGamer »

Wow... :evil: Is it possible to make our own?
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Well of course :P
Irrwizard(somewhere here on the forums, search I guess) uses A* pathfinding, you could look into that. Otherwise, you could look into Opensteer or something like that.
IrrGamer

Post by IrrGamer »

Well that's what I wanted to hear. IrrWizard.. I might have to Google it once I make my main part of the game... :wink:
rogerborg
Admin

Re: AI Question

Post by rogerborg »

IrrGamer wrote:LOL... After all this I forgot to ask: Irrlicht DOES have AI right? I mean it's not just simulation, but also has AI to make a FPS game, right?
From the FAQ, which I kind of assumed that you'd take 5 minutes to read before committing yourself to putting in thousands of hours of time:
Q: Can I create my game using Irrlicht as game engine?
A: [...] Irrlicht is not a game engine, it only does graphics.
(emphasis mine).
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
IrrGamer

Post by IrrGamer »

:? Aww man, everyone kept saying Irrlicht was a game engine, so I asumed so. You mean all this studying was a waste? :( Well that helps...

I guess it's good-bye to the Irrlicht community then. I don't want to render graphics. I want to make a game with AI etc. Snap... lol.

Irrlicht is an amazing engine, that's for sure. I can't wait until it gets its AI features. Thx for your help everyone.

EDIT: DUH!! I could use Irrlicht as the graphic engine and use a different AI engine!! Wow looks like I can stay.. But it might get a bit messy.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

I think Irrlicht is great - as a graphics engine. My first Irrlicht game that I am currentely working on uses ODE for dynamics and IrrKlang for Sound. You might find game engines on the net that include all this (crystal space for example), but Irrlicht is easier to use (my opinion) even when it comes to integrate external libraries.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
dejai

Post by dejai »

Lol, its not like coding an AI program is even that hard, it totally depends on how good you want the AI to be. And Failing that Just ADD AN AI ENGINE TO IRRLICHT. GOOGLE IT.

That way you get the best of both worlds
Can't suggest an AI Engine but

Bullet, or Newton SDK for Physics,
Irrklang For Sound
Irrlicht for Graphics

Mix them together, you get a strong engine combo and poof a game engine :D
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

dejai wrote:Lol, its not like coding an AI program is even that hard
You're awfully confident for someone who doesn't know the difference between vectors and scalars. Now, that's good lollage.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Hehe, you did cut the most important part of the quote rogerborg:
dejai wrote:it totally depends on how good you want the AI to be.
It's really not hard to create an AI which, just as example, will simply tell you that it refuses to play with you :-)

All others AI's might be a little harder though...
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
IrrGamer

Post by IrrGamer »

I'm gonna create my own AI and call it IrrAI (lol)... But first I gotta finish learning Irrlicht...
master_zion

NPC moving

Post by master_zion »

Last edited by master_zion on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

AI depends on the platform of your game:FPS,tile based,RTS,third person..etc
and really it doesn't have anything to do with irrlicht or any other graphics engine.
even most of the game maker programs(i think they call it like that :P )like gamemaker(although it makes 2d games)doesn't have an AI .
Because path finding is just a method for detecting the shortest path and reachable to the destination some people doesn't consider it as AI because AI is concerned with the intelligence of other NPC in your game.
And also i think ai engines out there are completely useless because what does your game consists of
Game=graphics(to display lol)+sounds+AI+other helping engines(Like physics engine or other)
so the AI is the mind of the game so if u just made some other engines to make your AI,That means it will make your game and all you have to do is just get the models and tell the ai engine(which doesn't exist) :

Code: Select all

game=rpg;
difficulty=hard;
other=nice and a good game;
author=meeee;
To make it simple you who must do the ai for your game because if you didn't then what did u do in the game?? import the models?

NOOB:"But heeyyyyy then what did this ai engines do?,do you mean they are just a trash :?:

Well engines like IrrWizard is just to give you some codes to make it easy like path finding and lets say..detecting enemy in range.
so you understand the idea and do it in your own way.
And since this is your first time to make an ai make it simple and of course that requires a simple game with simple models so just not to get into other problems.
I wrote too much :lol: (and i don't think anyone understand what is written here).
piiichan

Post by piiichan »

You can find AI resources at http://www.aiwisdom.com/

AI Game Programming Wisdom has nice discussions and articles on many areas of AI for different game genres: architectures, communications, pathfinding, decision-making, learning....