Irrlicht on Sega Dreamcast... has anyone done or seen this?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Hey, that sounds pretty interesting. Indeed Irrlicht made some progress with respect to portability. Porting to a special OS and driver might still be some effort, but much easier now.
Do you have an environment set up for building all the extra stuff? What is needed in order to compile for KOS?
pheadbaq

DC compiling environment

Post by pheadbaq »

I don't have the components installed anymore for doing DC compiling, not that I did that much to begin with except for a few demos written by other people. I do remember though, that I used an IP boot disc that allowed loading programs directly into the DC through the broandband adapter. I'll try to dig up all that stuff again...

Going through my old shortcuts I found these that should help:

http://www.hangar-eleven.de/en/devdc-index.html - Page no longer exists, but perhaps it exists in some search engine's cache somewhere. Anyway, I believe this was the step-by-step guide I used to set up cygwin in windows along with gcc sh4 and arm compilers. Based on the link below, it looks like there's a script to do all that automatically, updated as of January '07.

http://www.boob.co.uk/tutorials/guide.html - Instructions and tools for DC dev, including Stalin's build scripts for automatically setting up the dev environment, as well as disc images for the static IP boot disc mentioned above.

http://yam.20to4.net/dreamcast/index_old.html - Just found this one interesting. May have some useful info on DC's hardware pros and cons.
Pronunciation: 'feedback' ;)
pheadbaq

This might be useful as well.

Post by pheadbaq »

Pronunciation: 'feedback' ;)
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

I thought about Irrlicht on the dreamcast. But there is a lot of worked invovled, but it would be pretty cool.
noreg

Post by noreg »

Awesome project. I still have several Dreamcasts. But the code doesn't seem to use 3D-acceleration (slow). Please, prove me wrong.
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

dreamcast still appeals more to me than.. ps3 or xbox360 for example.

if there was some easy way to use irrlicht....... :cry:
JP

Post by JP »

Interesting, why's that?

I think the only promising project for getting irrlicht to work on a console is Wiirrlicht, though that project's gone awfully quiet lately :lol:
Image Image Image
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

JP wrote:Interesting, why's that?

I think the only promising project for getting irrlicht to work on a console is Wiirrlicht, though that project's gone awfully quiet lately :lol:
well first of all, i liked the premise and philosophy behind sega's last console. to bring a fresh pinch of originality and otherness into the video game business. similar to nintendo's wii, whereas sony only updated their product line to the most recent hardware trends (introduction of dvdfor ps2, blu ray for ps3.. better cpu.. better gpu.. ) and microsoft basically also only made 2 solid consoles.. without real innovations.

another aspect is... you don't need to pay for a license to release commercial homebrew dreamcast games.. unlike for ps2

and it's also good for the environment to stick to older hardware for as long as it works. producing new consoles worsens the global warming ;)
JP

Post by JP »

global warming's all bollocks anyway, climate change is natural ;)

what innovation was there with dreamcast? (personally don't know much about it).

PS3 also has motion controls so not sure what the wii has over it ;). I'm not a sony fanboy i do hate the wii though... because i own one :lol:
Image Image Image
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

JP wrote:global warming's all bollocks anyway, climate change is natural ;)

what innovation was there with dreamcast? (personally don't know much about it).

PS3 also has motion controls so not sure what the wii has over it ;). I'm not a sony fanboy i do hate the wii though... because i own one :lol:
the summers do get alot hotter here in germany, though
i believe it is true. i never experienced a summer as hot as this one in my whole life.

well.. the dreamcast had online gameplay. as the very first console.
it had memory cards that one could put into the controller and they had little LED screens. so that.. for example if you play a multiplayer game, and need to input some commands the other player isn't supposed to see, you could do that on that screen.

furthermore... dreamcast looked nice and had no massive cd protection and was relatively well documented for hobby programmers right from the start. so you could simply burn your own programs on cd and test your own games without any additional equipement.

hate for the wii seems to develop itself to an omnipresent phenomenon :roll:
JP

Post by JP »

PS2 is horrible to program on, i wouldn't advise anyone to try it :lol: Though i dunno if PS2 Linux is different to the official coding, maybe it's easier with the homebrew one.

I wouldn't call online play innovative as it was around before the dreamcast, just not on consoles. The LED screens sounds like a good thing for multiplayer, i've always pondered over a way of doing something like a card game with just one system and how to prevent the other players seeing your cards etc. I also don't see how putting memory cards into the controller is any different to putting them into the system itself.

But anyway, you like the dreamcast, that's cool and it does sound like it's a good one for homebrew which is also very cool (though i imagine piracy was rather widespread? opening the door to homebrew often means opening the door to piracy too).
Image Image Image
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

JP wrote:though i imagine piracy was rather widespread? opening the door to homebrew often means opening the door to piracy too
you're right. apparently that was one of the reasons why sega run out of money after 1,5 years. :? ... as the ps2 was released
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Yeah, I remember playing the Dreamcast. The LED screens were cool. Like when I was playing NFL 2K4, I think, and playing with my brother or a friend, you could select the plays on there. Great stuff. :)
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dcoder

Irrlicht port to Dreamcast

Post by dcoder »

I am working on an Irrlicht port to the Dreamcast. I think Irrlicht running on that platform would be awesome. I am only worried about the 200Mhz processor speed?

The goal is to get a perfect (or near perfect) port to the Dreamcast platform, taking full advantage of the system’s hardware.

The project is coming along pretty good so far.
Your thoughts create things.
The Secret
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, still sounds interesting :) The 200 MHz might give you only limited FPS with the SW drivers, but it should at least work. Once you figured that you can start optimizing, e.g. by utilizing some coprocessors or adapting some compiler intrinsics. Also make sure you get the optimal settings for burningsvideo driver with repsect to the available hw render modes on the DC.