Big Maps Problem(Solution?)

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Gladius_Coldhead

Big Maps Problem(Solution?)

Post by Gladius_Coldhead »

Hi.

I am planning to make a game with a big(giant) map.What is the best way to do it?

Maybe make a portal system?

Every houses will have inner ambient(full of decorations,npcs)...
overburn

Post by overburn »

i wanna do that too...
think you could do that by dividing the world map in smaller chunks and put them together piece by piece. and adjust their lods accordingly. unfortunately i don't really know how to do that.

and it would be a better idea to make the houses separate maps... saves lots of ram
One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor.
Leadtek PX9600GT W 512MB DDR3
200GB Maxtor HDD
drac_gd

Post by drac_gd »

I have a semi working terrain that is tiled and loaded along with terrain entities. It is visual studio/windows code so It may not help. Also it uses seperate threads for preloading into cache so there is no stutter as the player moves. I am currently working on a tool to edit it and the world but I its a long way from complete. Details at http://www.slytron.com
Anyway here Is the source and binaries to a very old version
http://www.tronacom.com/downloads/Draconia_v0.01.rar
Be patient as it builds terrain.. you will think it has frozen but it hasnt.
The basics of how the Slytron terrain works:
All tiles are 128x128 pixels in 555 16bit color format.
10x10 tiles are visible 12x12 total are loaded or in process of being loaded.
Mesh for each tile is 8x8 quads. Mesh, bitmap and terrain entity Ids are stored as a single stucture for each tile.
As the character move the preloaded tiles become viewable and a seperate thread begins loading the next row (or column ) so it will be ready immediately when needed.

Avantages:
1.) World size is only limited by how large the terrain file can be.
2.) Close to picture quality high detailed terrain.
3.) Every tile can have a unique bitmap so no more repeating tile patterns
4.) No issue of video card memory limits because only 12x12 are ever in memory at the same time.
5.) No wait times moving from zone to zone ( unless moving to a completely different terrain )
6.) Terrain entities are embedded in the tiles so no need for a complex system of terrain item loading
7.) Fast World loading.

Disadvantages:

1.) Huge terrain file sizes
2.) Distant objects past the 12x12 tiles are not visible because they are not yet loaded so you are limited to top down view or fog of ware.
NOTE: It is possible to have the terrain generator run when user sets up the game then place entities and unique bitmaps in the terrain using overrides