Future of Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
brainos

Future of Irrlicht

Post by brainos »

Hi,
I have a question to the developer of the Irrlicht-Engine: What do you planing for the Future? Is it planed, that the Enigne get hardwareaccelaration? What ist with OpenGL 3.0 an DirectX 10 Support?

Greetings
Raedwulf

Post by Raedwulf »

No I'm not an irrlicht-core developer, but this question has already been answered.
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... light=dx10
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The engine already has hardware acceleration 8) And no, both techniques (if you think of ogl 3 as 'without immediate drawing') are not scheduled for implementation. Doesn't make sense now.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

DirectX 10 is only for modern graphics cards. It doesn't make any sense to drop the support of older spec just to run the evil VISTA-ONLY dx10.

On the other hand, OpenGL3 is only meant to clean up the codes and combine those 2.x extensions into one single core.

By the way... let's say IF irrlicht only supports a single driver (eg. OGL), I think many of the features were already being implemented into the core?
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

I hear there's some really amazing stuff coming up with collision detection and smarter billboards, any second now. :P
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I guess I'll branch the development version in the next weeks if the final release cannot be done until then. So rogerborg gets his collision system update :wink:
Well, seriously, it seems that none of the developers (me included) has enough time to make intensive bug tracking or testing. So it might take some time until official final 1.4 will be releases, so moving it into a stabilizing branch and continuing the development in trunk seems to be an option. But since I just came back from my holidays it'll take some more days until I have everything reorganized (moreover, my windows laptop is broken, so no win32 tests by myself currently :cry: )
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Eh, don't mind me, I'm just an SVN junkie. I don't really get how we can declare a stable version without a well defined test specification, or at least a single definitive bug list.

Speaking of which, there are probably several people lurking here (myself included) who would be happy to address specific bugs, if you fancy handing them out. At the moment, I'm not sure where I'd go to find a definitive prioritised list, and I don't know if any specific patches would really be welcome.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

At least two bugs should be fixed for the final release: The win32 close device bug and the texture matrix stuff (problems with FBOs, inversion of directions, etc.). I think all bugs are listed in the bug forum or in the Wiki.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi!

That's problably the thing that affect the reflections in my tests! (the texture matrix stuff)

What are thoses enhancement for the collisions and billboard? A rumor?

For the Win32 test, what would be required to do? I still could compile IRRlicht and test it into my level then post screens, if it's needed...
I've a dual boot station, could test under XP and Vista.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

If you don't use texture matrices it shouldn't affect your system. The problem with the win32 device is that there are chances that a newly created device (after closing the first) could immediately close, too, due to a pending close message from the win32 event system.
The collision and billboard updates can be found at the patch tracker on the sourceforge Irrlicht project page.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Well, seriously, it seems that none of the developers (me included) has enough time to make intensive bug tracking or testing.
Maybe post a list with all places that need to be checked so everyone can help test the beta and by that accelerate the release date of the 1.4 final version?
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

As said, there are always open bugs in the bug forum, on the bug tracker and on the dev pages of the Wiki. But I have only the two mentioned on my list for now.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi. I was able to retrieve the 2 patches (Billboard and Collision enhancements), merge them with the source and compile it. There where no errors in the compilation.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Just to clarify, those patches aren't candidates for inclusion in 1.4. 1.4 has been branched and will only receive bugfixes now.

Also, the animated selector doesn't work with the new skinned meshes (as IAnimatedMesh::getMesh(s32 frame,...) doesn't always return what you'd expect now). Luke and bitplane are applying their Mighty Brains to the issue, and I'm making encouraging noises at them.