Irrlicht Wrapper Library

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Post by k1ll3rdr4g0n »

hybrid wrote:I think you still don't get the basic problem. It's not the idea of creating a wrapper. That's a good idea, basically many game engines that build upon Irrlicht will do so. the problem with your proposed solution is also NOT that you do invent new classes or methods. But it's a problem of how you create the API. You mix things, you impose dependencies where they are not necessary, you loose adaptivity and extensibility. It's just a matter of design, and design is not easy.
So if you find this useful and usable, then fine for you, but don't insist that everyone will think so. In case you have some time left and also some fun with programming you should refactor things of your design. Maybe read some books on OO Design first, and have a look at some other OO wrappers. Make your design such that it simplifies things (not only by having to type some characters less, but by making usage of structures simpler and uniform). And always expect to face some people that may teach you new things.
Did I ever say it was complete and ready to use? No.
k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:Its no where near completion
So why are you forming an opinion on something thats not complete?

The current concept is to get things working, not to make them pretty for you or BlindSide. Later on is when things will get more OO, and more organized. But how can I organize or refactor something that doesn't exist or doesn't work? The current goal is make things work, then go back and edit/delete/add things that need to go where.
Sure, you can argue that I should do that from the beginning, but when your climbing mount everest by yourself, you just want to get the top. Aside from everyone trying to push you off the mountain....

I just posted it to announce it as a project, to perk interest. And to see if anyone else would be interested in helping. That's what you do when you post a new project don't you?
Correct me if I am wrong.

If you don't want to help, don't post. I am sorry, but I can't stand any level of ignorance. It's like someone trying to install something and when it doesn't install they say it sucks, even though it says in the install instructions you have to do X. Then they complain saying it doesn't work, then when you say "did you do X?", and they say no, and that its not posted anywhere... :roll:
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Sorry I guess I was a bit rude. I apologise.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I have taught for about 5 years at university (being employed there, not as a student). So I guess I can assess some things.
Even if it was just a plan it would have to be criticised. Because your basic design has flaws. If you build upon that you will face many problems. If you want to change those flaws later on you will have to change everything (because everything was built upon it). So start changing that stuff as early as possible.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:I just posted it to announce it as a project, to perk interest. And to see if anyone else would be interested in helping. That's what you do when you post a new project don't you?
Then (admins) move this thread from "FAQs, Tutorials, Howtos, and external tool lists" to "Project Announcements"

And I'm writing my own game engine now, and in short, before I started designing, I started coding right away and in 2 weeks I remade my whole project more then 3 times.
Now that I'm starting it from scratch again, designing first, I had so many design changes but they were all on paper (whiteboad :wink: ) so it took me about 5-10 min to change the effected parts of the new design so this way when I start coding the chances I'll remake it all again will be very low, and this is what they are trying to tell you. They are not trying to offend you, just help you understand that if you'll design first it will be much more easier for You to code it later.
About what you use and how you use it its your own choice to make and I'm not suggesting anything about that just like hybrid said, try listening to others instead of screaming at them..

Except that I'm wishing you for good luck.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Post by k1ll3rdr4g0n »

MasterGod wrote:
k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:I just posted it to announce it as a project, to perk interest. And to see if anyone else would be interested in helping. That's what you do when you post a new project don't you?
They are not trying to offend you, just help you understand that if you'll design first it will be much more easier for You to code it later.
Why can't they just say this?
But you know thats odd I defiantly don't get that feeling especially when someone says this:

[18:34] <Dorth> yish, k1ll3rdr4g0n, seriously, it takes you more than a few days to master the Irr engine?
[18:34] <Dorth> Then your not at that level of devellopment (using a graphic engine and making a game) yet

This person goes on to say that ICE and Irrwizard are crap.

[18:40] [k1ll3rdr4g0n] Really? Then how come there are things like IrrWizard and ICE if its so easy?
[18:40] <Dorth> And they are crap

Can we assume that this person defiantly doesn't know what they are talking about?

(I can post the unabridged log if anyone is interested)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey man, thats just Dorth. Dont let Dorth get you down. :P When he first started with Irrlicht all of us helped him out with little problems here and there, and it took him alot longer than a few days to master it.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net