IrrBook - Irrlicht Game Programming -

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
zack_fix

IrrBook - Irrlicht Game Programming -

Post by zack_fix »

EDIT:

Well, first off hello everyone on the irrlicht forums. I have been
loiteringhere for around a month now and have been using irrlicht for
about two or three months. It all started about a week ago when I was
searching the internet for a book on irrlicht so that I can get a better
understanding of the engine itself. To my disapointment, there is NO
book on irrlicht, that I found(except for the API doc). So, I decided it is
time for irrlicht to have a book and I am going to write it. I have never
written any thing like this before so it will definetly not be a best seller
(not that Im selling it any way). I have been working on it for the past
few days I got Chapter 1 of the book complete. The title of the book
is 'irrBook - Irrlicht Game Programming'. Here is the outline for
chapter's one through four, Im not releasing to much info about it until
the book is nearly staticaly outlined and thought about:

Chapter 1 -> Irrlicht? *FINISHED*
1.1 -> You get what you pay for!
1.2 -> Who created Irrlicht and why?
1.3 -> What does Irrlicht 'do'?
1.4- > An Irrlicht 'minimal'

Chapter 1 talks about the creation of Irrlicht and its pros and cons. Also
disscusses the creator of irrlicht and why it was created. Then talks
what Irrlicht actually does and how we can use it for game developemtn,
then finally finishing the chapter up with an 'Irrlcith Minimal' program
creation.

Chapter 2 -> Object Orinted programming *100%* Complete
2.1 -> Data-Structures
2.2 -> Classes
2.3 -> Inheritence
2.4 -> Polymorphism

Chapter 2 is just a refresher in OOP and discusses nearly every aspect
of it and how we will use it to prgram games with Irrlicht and C++.

Chapter 3 -> Pong - Basic 2D *60%* Complete
3.1 -> Project planning
3.2 -> Project creation
3.3 -> Project conclusion
3.4 -> Extending Pong

This is where the fun begins. We basically re-create the game pong to
show irrlciht's most basic 2D functionallity.

Chapter 4 -> IrrShooter - Advance 2D *0%* Complete
4.1 -> Project planning
4.2 -> Project creation
4.3 -> Project conclusion
4.4 -> Extending IrrShooter

Chapter 4 is where we create a small space-shooter game to show
irrlicht's advanced 2D functionallity. This chapter also will cover some
basics of irrlicht's particle system, sprite rotation and 'depth'.

Chapter 5 and up have not been entirely planned out yet but I will
hopefully have them outlined soon. When I get done with chapter 3, I
will release that part of the book so everyone can see how my progress
is turning out. Chapter 1 is complete, just some small lay out
adjustments :x and it will be finished. Chapter 2 is finished. The game pong is finished for chapter 3, just need to discuss about it in detail and teach on how I created it. As for chapter 4, nothing is complete. Im tring to finish chapters 1 - 3 before the end of this upcoming weekend. Well good luck to all and happy programming.
Last edited by zack_fix on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ASUS M2N-VM DH Motherboard w/ AMD 3.81GHZ
4 GB DDR2 RAM
120 GB HARDDRIVE w/ XP-Media Center Ed.
Radeon HD 2900 XT 1GB GDDR4 w/ 21" LCD - HD Flat-Panel
Total Cost: Priceless....
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

How about working with this? :
http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.ph ... ichtManual

Add to it, learn from it - Contribute! :)
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
zack_fix

Post by zack_fix »

Yeah, I already seen that, but I figured I would write a book on Irrlicht game programming. The irrlicht manual talks about irrlicht in general. My book will be about the way you can use irrlicht for game programming.
4 GB DDR2 RAM
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Your announcement contains 27 spelling mistakes.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
zack_fix

Post by zack_fix »

Yeah, thats why I said I have never written anything like this before, so if there are any spelling mistakes or grammer mistakes, you can blame Microsoft and thier word processing capabilties.

EDIT: I only found 12, but then again I am the one who made the mistakes, so how do I know what I'm looking for anyways...

EDIT2: Fixed them. I think... :?
Last edited by zack_fix on Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 GB DDR2 RAM
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

zack_fix wrote:Yeah thats why I said I have never written anything like this before, so if there are any spelling mistakes or grammer mistakes, you can blame Microsoft and thier word processing capabilties.

EDIT: I only found 12, but then again I am the one who made the mistakes, so how do I know what Im looking for...
This post contains 5 spelling mistakes. :P
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

zack_fix wrote:so if there are any spelling mistakes or grammer mistakes, you can blame Microsoft and thier word processing capabilties.
Ah, got it!

Since I in no way think this is serious, I will say it is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

You searched around the net for months not finding a book. You could have asked on the forums when you first choose irrlicht and any member could have told you the best book you need that came with Irrlicht, its called the API documentation. And don't give me the "Oh, but I can't understand blahdy blah." In that case you need to stop, minimize your IDE and go learn to read and understand documentation because you will be dealing with it a lot if you decide to go into any sort of technical field hobby or otherwise. Writing or reading a book based on how to use irrlicht in general or for creating a game is pointless. You'd save a lot of time and effort just picking up a general "How to" for game design and then apply it to the API to create your game. Its not too hard, most people are just too lazy.

I'm going to pick on you for a moment kid. A) You don't need to be famous. B) Your not a game developer until you develop a game. C) Patience is a virtue.

And yes, if you are a teenager, your a kid. I'm 21, i'm also a kid and I heard this same exact pitch 3 years ago when I was 18 standing in your same shoes thinking I would be a whiz designer in 3 years. Which is definetly what it all ever boils down too.

Oh, and no offense.

Anyway, I just saw my post. Realize it was a big uncalled for and off-topic, but i'll leave it because i feel it's still relevant on some level, if inappropriate it can be removed. Don't think of it as a "You fail! Do not pass go, do not collect $200" post, but rather I hope you gain some motivation to prove me wrong. I doubt you will though.
zack_fix

Post by zack_fix »

Ouch... First off I am not doing this to become famous, I am doing this because alot of younger people (kiids) want to get into game programming but don't know where to start. Secondly, I have been programming games for around four and half years now and have developed quite a few and NO those games were not nothing to brag about. Just a step futher in my knowledge on game development. Ok WOW! Your 21 years of age. Sweet! That's just a year older than I am. An yes the Irrlicht API is very helpful, I actually mention it in my book, but for a new individual to game programming the API Help file would seem like complete gibberish. It's not like I am selling this book or anything, so why would you tell me not to do it. Just because you understand the Irrlicht API, does not mean everyone else does. Im not tring to be a jerk, but I think that your reply was complete negative and judge-mental. :x

BTW: I know of my spelling and grammer mistakes. :wink: Dont feel like fixing them right now, maybe later.
4 GB DDR2 RAM
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

LMAO :lol:
Raedwulf

Post by Raedwulf »

zack_fix wrote:Ouch... First off I am not doing this to become famous, I am doing this because alot of younger people (kiids) want to get into game programming but don't know where to start. Secondly, I have been programming games for around four and half years now and have developed quite a few and NO those games were not nothing to brag about. Just a step futher in my knowledge on game development. Ok WOW! Your 21 years of age. Sweet! That's just a year older than I am. An yes the Irrlicht API is very helpful, I actually mention it in my book, but for a new individual to game programming the API Help file would seem like complete gibberish. It's not like I am selling this book or anything, so why would you tell me not to do it. Just because you understand the Irrlicht API, does not mean everyone else does. Im not tring to be a jerk, but I think that your reply was complete negative and judge-mental. :x

BTW: I know of my spelling and grammer mistakes. :wink: Dont feel like fixing them right now, maybe later.
This post has 5 spelling mistakes as well.
Raedwulf
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I guess that the hard thing in writing a book is not to avoid spelling errors, but creating content in a way that readers can make use of it. For the rest you either have text processors or editors who will take care of. And in the days of book-on-demands it's pretty simple to publish books - even with hundreds of spelling and layout errors (I have read some of those...).
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

zeno60 wrote:Since I in no way think this is serious, I will say it is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
OTOH, teaching is a good way to learn. Documenting your experiences for the benefit of a 3rd party is a good way to firm up your own understanding, even if you never publish the text.
zack_fix

Post by zack_fix »

I just got finished with Chapter 1 but I will wait until I get finished with chapter 3 to release anything. I figure this way people can see how VERY SERIOUS I am about writting this book. Oh and zeno60, thanks for the motivation. I am going to prove you to be completely wrong about this project. :wink:

I will try and keep everyone updated on my progress so you dont think the project is dead. Also I bought a dictionary to help out with my spelling :).
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Glad to hear that it's coming along.

I'll be waiting for chapter 3....
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
zack_fix

Post by zack_fix »

Most likely bty the end of this upcpming weekend, chapter 3 will be complete. I also had to rearrange my outline so Ill be posting that up sometime tommorow in my first post on this thread. Thanks for the replies(all of you) and happy programming...
4 GB DDR2 RAM