Terrain, OpenGL, design

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
elvencode

Terrain, OpenGL, design

Post by elvencode »

Hi,
i'm learning how works the Irrlicht engine because i'm thinking of programming a Mechwarrior-like game. i'm currently developing a 3D space strategic game based on turns using a "engine" (i use the " because it's more a well organized set of classes, without much hierarchical structure, not like a TRUE engine :wink: ) based on OpenGL, SDL and FTGL (for high quality font rendering), but i have no artists that help me and the gameplay is complex so working is slow, and i'd like to prepare a little test app of a lighter to develop game with an already started engine, because i like more to implement game design than the basic 3d rendering :wink: . I've spent a lot of time developing GUI stuff, setting menus and 3d selection... it's a long work for a single man :(

However i'd like to question something about the engine:

- first of all, the OpenGL rendering is fully supported or not? i've tried for example to compile the UserInterface sample setting the device to video::DT_OPENGL and the font is shown skretched, "noised". In the future i'd like to compile this engine on the next version of BeOS (do you know something about this system?) that before the end of the year will be shipped and they talk about hardware GL acceleration. i think it's a good alternative OS.

- i've seen there's in progress the add of a terrain renderer. because a mech game is mostly situated in an outdoor enviroment, it's possible with this terrain to insert some buildings with the possibily to enter in them (for example a large factory building) without drop fps to 1? i dont talk about very complex structures :wink: i think object culling and vertex arrays are a thing to do as soon as possible to make the engine usable for complex things. Also, there's a way to make a basic path finding? the terrain could support things like caves?

- i have not well understand how works the EMT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER in the water simulation, it combines the 2 texture to emulate reflections? is possible to make the water semi-transparent?

- i'd like to see skins for the GUI, it's a must have :) (maybe with more control of the text rendering) i'd thank you for the idea of a mesh viewer element, it's a nice add and i'll use it soon

- the difficult thing i've to do is mesh animations of the robot components. i'm thinking of using some physics library and use joints on legs, arms and torso, after that i add force to some components to simulate walking. the foot and other important parts of the robot will have collision with the terrain,etc. my idea is insane or not? :wink:

- could you add support for PNG textures? i use a lot of them in my works because many programs handle better trasparency with this format. before i used TGAs but only Photoshop and few others support them fully.

I hope to not disturb you with my questions :oops:
niko
Site Admin

Re: Terrain, OpenGL, design

Post by niko »

elvencode wrote:first of all, the OpenGL rendering is fully supported or not?
You're right, the OpenGL device is currently not as well supported as the D3D device. But the only reason is because my current PC does not like OpenGL at all, it lets my PC freeze all the time. So it is no fun developing for OpenGL currently. But I'll buy a new computer soon. [God, give me some money ;)]
elvencode wrote:In the future i'd like to compile this engine on the next version of BeOS
A very cool OS. I tried it some years ago. If there will be a free version, I'll create a port. Should not be much work.
elvencode wrote: - i've seen there's in progress the add of a terrain renderer. because a mech game is mostly situated in an outdoor enviroment, it's possible with this terrain to insert some buildings with the possibily to enter in them (for example a large factory building) without drop fps to 1? i dont talk about very complex structures :wink: i think object culling and vertex arrays are a thing to do as soon as possible to make the engine usable for complex things. Also, there's a way to make a basic path finding? the terrain could support things like caves?
Inserting buildings into the terrain will be no problem. As said on the 'features' page: Mixing outdoor with indoor is no problem at all. So these buildings may be as big and complex as you like.
Automatic culling is in already. Caves in the terrain and pathfinding are not planned yet. But as lots of users requested this, maybe I'll add it.
elvencode wrote: - i have not well understand how works the EMT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER in the water simulation, it combines the 2 texture to emulate reflections? is possible to make the water semi-transparent?
EMT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER is just a combination of two textures: The first is a simple texture, the second a sphere map, to simulate reflection. To make it transparent, use EMT_TRANSPARENT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER.
elvencode wrote: - i'd like to see skins for the GUI, it's a must have :) (maybe with more control of the text rendering) i'd thank you for the idea of a mesh viewer element, it's a nice add and i'll use it soon
Skinable GUI elements (more than just color changes) are already planned as you can see from the development page.
Hehe, I've not looked at the mesh viewer element for some time now. Cool that it still works. :)
elvencode wrote: - the difficult thing i've to do is mesh animations of the robot components. i'm thinking of using some physics library and use joints on legs, arms and torso, after that i add force to some components to simulate walking. the foot and other important parts of the robot will have collision with the terrain,etc. my idea is insane or not? :wink:
Sounds very complicated. Very. Would be a lot to do. :)
elvencode wrote: - could you add support for PNG textures? i use a lot of them in my works because many programs handle better trasparency with this format. before i used TGAs but only Photoshop and few others support them fully.
Good idea! Would not be a big problem.

Hope this helped you :)
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

You're right, the OpenGL device is currently not as well supported as the D3D device. But the only reason is because my current PC does not like OpenGL at all, it lets my PC freeze all the time. So it is no fun developing for OpenGL currently. But I'll buy a new computer soon. [God, give me some money ]
i suggest you an ATI, you could buy a Radeon 9000-9200 for 70-90 EURO and they have very good drivers, also in Linux
or you could think about these offers http://217.160.164.133/shop/shop.php?category=hardware (complete systems with Zeta, the next version of BeOS) i think they have good prices. they actually ship the RC1 version but before the end of the year they'll ship the final with the new very interesting features. Zeta is a commercial product but very cheap (prices range is 50-99 euro, with commercial products included in the more expensive versions). However the open source BeOS is growing fast, so it's only a step this. ( OK i stop the spot with this sample screenshot http://images.beosjournal.org/reviews/2 ... adZeta.png )
EMT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER is just a combination of two textures: The first is a simple texture, the second a sphere map, to simulate reflection. To make it transparent, use EMT_TRANSPARENT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER.
the main problem was that in OpenGL there's no trasparency for the water, the first texture is displayed only :wink:

Sounds very complicated. Very. Would be a lot to do.
I've seen this 3d editor http://www.natew.com/juice/ that has some similar idea, i'll try to make a little test :P i want a good robotic legs behaviour with the terrain, from holes in it to make jumps from a rock to another. the upper part of the robot will be more static :) however i'll start with a tank-like robot ;)