Irrlicht RTS

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
TheCodedOne

Irrlicht RTS

Post by TheCodedOne »

Hello I'm trying to make an rts game and am wondering Im irrlicht could simplify the prosses. I have little experince in games but know my way around c++. I started out by using openGL but now I want something that can help me accomplish my goal faster. Can this engine do this?
#define Lord TheCodedOne

Nuf Said.
JP

Post by JP »

Irrlicht will definetly be quicker to use than OpenGL, but it's not a game engine. It's a rendering engine so basically it's just a layer on top of OpenGL (or DirectX) which abstracts away a lot of stuff to make it quicker and easier to use but it does lack a fair amount of stuff that you need to make a game so doesn't do everything for you but if you know your way around C++ it should be no problem for you.

It's possible you may need to also use a physics engine if you want decent collisions etc as the built in collision detection stuff is a bit limited but does the trick for fairly simple cases.

You can check out the projects forum to see some of the projects people have created with irrlicht, some of them are awesome, some of them are below par... i'm sure you can tell which :lol:
Image Image Image
dudMaN

Post by dudMaN »

Ofcourse irrlicht can finish it :D

I Myself made a simple RTS engine using irrlicht, took about a week for a simple, "playable" alpha version. Keep learning, and maybe try a few simpler projects first, and i'm sure you can suceed!

-dudMan
Complete Irrlicht Beginners Tutorial
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=24898
TheCodedOne

Irrlicht RTS

Post by TheCodedOne »

JP- Thankyou for your insight I have chosen to use irrlicht instead of openGL I hope I can actually finish a full workable game.(I typically don't finish the games I start but this one will be diferent due to proper motivation.)

dudMaN- Thanks for your comments I may postpone my RTS project to make some basic games.
#define Lord TheCodedOne

Nuf Said.
dudMaN

Post by dudMaN »

About proper motivation, that's something most of us programmers lack XD. And postponing it to do a simple game will reeeeally help. for example, try making a game where you have FPS-style controls and walk around a 3d map where you can go up stairs and stuff, not walking through walls or into the sky.

Also, if you want to, check out the tutorial in my signature, might help you learn some of irrlicht :)

#define OverLordOfAll dudMan
Nuff said.

:P

-dudMan
Complete Irrlicht Beginners Tutorial
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=24898
TheCodedOne

irrlicht rts

Post by TheCodedOne »

Thankyou I'm going there now.

p.s.

#define OverLordOfAll dudMan
Nice one :D DONT DO IT AGAIN!!! :evil: Joking, but seriously thankyou for your help.

I'm random.
#define Lord TheCodedOne

Nuf Said.