Tutorial On Converting Md3 files to another file format

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
Elfloard2

Tutorial On Converting Md3 files to another file format

Post by Elfloard2 »

Updated: 09.10.2007 - (dd.mm.yyyy)

This tutorial will show users how they can convert md3 model files into a readable format for Irrlicht.

Steps
1. First download the free modeling software, misfit modeler version 1.3.1 and up(not version 1.2.5).
http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d/download.html

2. Second you must install the software.
3. Run the software, go to File->Open, and load your md3 file(The 3d animations will be loaded ).

4. Finally to export the model, go to File-> Export and type the name of the new model, and the model type you desire. Example: rocketLauncher.md2

5. Press Save and you have successfully exported an md3 model with animations to a new model type.

Special Notes*
Thanks to Irrlicht member “MasterGod” for leading me to this solution.

The modeler states that it can load all the body parts as one mesh, at one time. I will work on adding this to the tutorial as well.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

The problem is that MD3 is still a vertex animation format, and there is no way to convert vertex animation to bone, only bone to vertex. So you cannot really get bone animation by saving it as MS3D in Misfit Model.

I recommend not using MD3 if it is possible, besides, converting it into MD2 is an even worse idea as all you are doing is using an older, uglier format. MD3 transformation matrix will be fixed in Irrlicht soon, just wait for that.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

md2 has bad lighting, normals problems. The limit in triangles is much lower...

Both md3 and md2 have the same issue than *.3ds : one vertex can't have two uv pairs info, so, any tool you use to export as md2 or md3, will produce terrible creases in the smoothing normals, there where you don't want it (ie, in the middle of the face), there where the UV islands have their contours. Of course, a technique I used to use , is to uv map so that you do in a way that those UV chunks frontiers happen to be in hidden parts in the 3d model : ie, bellow the head, in the neck, where rarely the camera will dive into.

You can export from gmax md3 with chris cockson md3 plugin, I have the plugin, can provide if someone wants and I remember to get back here.

Also in blender with an old script of a blender user. But had some probs of shape accuracy, deforming the model slightly.

One way I used to have was export as LWO or 3ds files,(as said, LWO or OBJ are much better formats than *.3ds, imo) and then import into a nPherno free windows tool that converted to md3 from those frames. I think the interpolation later on is duty of the engine, but not sure, as the md3 is told to allow spline non linear interpolation, much better than the plain linear that md2 files used to have...Of course, is as allways in character animation: when formats arent giving you curves of interpolation (I think md5 export out of blender, does it) that you had in the package, to produce life like motion, then , you export a lof of keyframes, it still is linear but you are forcing more the points you need. That is, if memory is not an issue, neither the perfomance loss that it can produce...Imo, these days way to go is bones, weights, and spline curves taken from the package. Last thing, if no way, still can do the trick...

B3d usually in the actual b3d engine, had only linear, tho I think the format supports spline, smooth curves. the exporter in blender I think does linear, but unsure. If so, you can allways bake whole anim, which is also a trick to bake constraints and other animation features not well carried by animation formats.

Wow, went more verbose than I wanted...

MD3 is much better than md2, and still can be of great use for RTS games if is wished a lot of performance in old machines with many units... I suppose.(is just the word of an artist, heh).I've seen and worked with, engines, some made in-house, using a stream of OBJs, and export the curves independetly, then merge in the engine. Or generate a format, that port all and more info. I think with the available options (to my knowledge there was a loader for md3) b3d and obj, are good to go. Of course, some may prefer x, md3, collada, cal3d, etc. It all depends on your needs or imho, likings, as basically you can do all with even arcan formats and arcan tools.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com