question about level creation

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
raymond

question about level creation

Post by raymond »

I am now using blender and can simply create some mesh as a level and draw it in irrlicht. But now I wanna do more:

<1> I want create different kind of cpp object for different object in the mesh, how to do this? I just need a away to store information in the blender and get it in my program.
<2> How can I access the points of a mesh? I wanna create lines in a level to
as NPC's way point, and I need to know position of every point of the lines
<3> Is there any tutorial about ODE? I searched by many ways but find nothing useful but the ODE manual
rogerborg
Admin

Re: question about level creation

Post by rogerborg »

raymond wrote:<1> I want create different kind of cpp object for different object in the mesh, how to do this? I just need a away to store information in the blender and get it in my program.
Have you tried using IrrEdit? This might help you to do what you want.

If you're determined to go with a raw model as your level, then you'll have to put marker entities into the model, and then detect and act on them when the mesh is loaded.

For example, I add fake joints to my Milkshape meshes. There's no mesh data associated with them, I just use them to position entities. I use the joints' names to convey information about what they represent (I use them as mount points; you could use them to position goblins or hookers or whatever your game uses).
<2> How can I access the points of a mesh? I wanna create lines in a level to as NPC's way point, and I need to know position of every point of the lines
IAnimatedSceneNode::getMesh()->getMeshBuffer()->getVertices();

<3> Is there any tutorial about ODE? I searched by many ways but find nothing useful but the ODE manual
There's a lot of people asking questions about it, but no comprehensive answers. You could break the mould and actually figure it out and provide a tutorial. (Oh, look, another thread containing the words "ODE" and "tutorial").
Last edited by rogerborg on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JP

Post by JP »

With reference to placing waypoints for NPCs you could check out the way i'm doing it in my irrAI project, see the link in my signature.
Image Image Image
raymond

Re: question about level creation

Post by raymond »

rogerborg wrote: Have you tried using IrrEdit? This might help you to do what you want.
I just downloaded and get little confused, I can not even find a manual of IrrEdit.:shock: How do you guys start learning irrEdit?
fireside

Post by fireside »

I know what you mean. There's a couple short tutorials and some scrimpy documentation. You mostly have to experiment. Example 15 has an irr file that was made in Irredit and loaded into Irrlicht.
mqrk

Post by mqrk »

maybe you can add properties under the logic tab (f4) (in Blender) and export the data using a python script. I don't know if this is possible or not but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Just experiment with irrEdit, try things, play with it. Try making some scenes and load them in irrlicht to see how they look in in running time. It's all about experimenting :)
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks for all your help. I will try playing around IrrEdit.