Feature request: Brightness, Contrast and Hue controlling

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
miha

Feature request: Brightness, Contrast and Hue controlling

Post by miha »

Irrlicht, being a graphics engine, needs some basic graphic postprocessing
as Brightness, Contrast, Hue and maybe some other.
I don't know if some of these are hard to implement on all drivers, but i guess
brightness could be implemented easily? Or not.

Thanks for reviewing the request.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You can do this yourself easily, just stick a brightly or darkly coloured rectangle that covers the screen (Or any certain colour) and make it very transparent.

Or you can just write a post processing shader, there are many examples on the forums on how to do this (search for screen quad)
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Then if it's that simple why not adding such feature into irrlicht so if one doesn't think its that simple and therefor doesn't know how to do it irrlicht will help even him.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Because if we add every little feature that can be done already in 5 minutes, then the engine will become too big and bloated.

Irrlicht is famous for being lightweight and streamlined, although there is already alot of unused or possibly unnecessary stuff on there (Can't really say what, but if you look through the API there are alot of helper functions, for example the GUI Screen Fader), I think that new features should be reserved for more important things.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
miha

Post by miha »

I understand but i think irrlicht is graphics engine and this should be one
of the (many) features. :) Brightness and contrast at least.
I know how to do the rectangle 'trick', it has already been said about in another topic,
but it was just a suggestion for ppl maintaining this project to make brightness
a part of the engine. As for shaders, i'm not very fond of them, and tend
to use them only when necessary (almost never).
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

There will be a postprocessing interface sometimes. We'll have to find the proper API first, then going to implement it (will be RTT/shader based probably). Some postprocessing implementations are already available in the forums, try to search for them.
And yes, some interfaces become larger, but we introduced many compiler flags to remove unused stuff again, simply recompile the engine with your own settings.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

BlindSide, I think you miss the point. A powerful engine offers more features while staying easy to use. That's the goal of an engine. What Hybrid is saying, adding flags, is the most logical form of culling sections you don't need and I'd expect any engines to have those, but the more flags/features, the better. While you may value more, let's say, bone animation, someone else might value WYSIWYG from a certain modeler, other shaders, other speed, other portability, other the plug-in ease, other the post-effects, etc. It's a graphic engine and as long as some people finds necessary some features that are linked directly to a graphic engine, then yes, in due time and wit enough people, the feature should be added. But properly. Like hybrid's suggesting.