Game Level Needed (urgent)

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

halifax, can you post some of the normal mapped models you made?

just wondering.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Looks nice so far.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

here is another showing a candidate bump map texture of a cobblestone walkpath.

specular value is now toned down to reduce reflection.

Halifax

Post by Halifax »

dlangdev: Sorry, I cannot at the current moment, but I can show you some of Epic Games meshes.

Regular in-game mesh(Gears of War) 5,287 polys:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/media/u ... _char2.jpg

Hi-poly detail mesh(Gears of War) 2 million polys(sculpted with ZBrush from the low-poly mesh):
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/media/u ... _char1.jpg

Rendered in-game mesh with normal map produced from the detail mesh with the UE3 generator, and with color maps, etc.:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/media/u ... _char3.jpg

The main thing you should realize is don't let Epic fool you with that detail mesh picture. Hi-poly meshes are obviously limited by the edges of the low-poly meshes. If note the right shoulder of the detail mesh, and the rendered mesh, there is not that big bulge anymore. Also the guns are not present.

But it does create all the veins, armor, head wrinkles, detailed hands, and everything you see on that rendered mesh.

They also do the same thing for their levels

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/media/u ... _over1.jpg

A 500,000 polygon in-game level rendered with a normal map produced from the same level, but sculpted in ZBrush, and it all came out to 200 million polygons.

Oh and just for fun, here is that other in-game mesh, actually in the game receiving lighting from objects, and casting dynamic shadows.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/media/u ... hadows.jpg

You can see where they modelled the gun and the extra armor on the low-poly mesh. I don't know why they didn't show that one in the screenshot, but oh well, you get the point.

Oh and here is another fun picture. Marcus never looked that bad in the game. :P

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/media/u ... m_tree.jpg
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

hmmm, it looks like you work for a big game outfit, eh.

anyway...

i think i'm done with bump maps for now.

i've given up on parallax maps as well, will get back to it once i figure out how distance maps are generated.

i've started looking into the ambient occlusion sample code. looks pretty interesting as it may be good to test it inside a room with no lamp, light source is basically the light entering from the windows.

the algorithm use two textures from the material and additional three textures from the vertex shader. not sure how expensive this procedure is, though. it could bring down the gpu to its knee.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

hmmm, it looks like you work for a big game outfit, eh.
What's that mean?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i meant to say was you are working for a big game company.

ok...

here's another rendermonkey ashli/cg, now i'm using two pass multi-texture.

i'm hoping to achieve multi-pass, multi-texture at a grand scale, maybe in the hundreds or even thousands. ;-)

it's a brick wall with a wooden window frame.

i'm working on setting up the glass cg. will post that sometime later.

so far, i'm so impressed with ashli/cg.

gpu rendering is definitely the way to go, bar none.

my ambient occlusion demo will depend on this demo. i noticed there was no room model for testing it, so i need to build a room first.

i forgot to adjust the specular, so the wood is a bit shiny at the moment.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Nice. And haha, although I would like to work for Epic Games, I am sad to say that I don't. All those pictures are available to the public. Unreal Engine makes no attempts to hide the technology that they use, and they even release UnrealEd for modelers, which is exactly what the "big time" companies are using to make their levels for Unreal Engine 3.0.
Last edited by Halifax on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i got mo pix to show ya fellas.

plotti, i might buy gile[s], but not this month, though. it might in the next few months. let me know if this level will work for your project?

i'll check gile[s] if they support bump maps, that'd be cool, tho.

halifax, we just got unreal3, it looks awesome!

plotti

Post by plotti »

The level is a good start, if placing a couple of those houses around and adding some road this could make a scenario.
Right now I am thinking about applications of ingame voice technology that would go beyond some useless chitchat or fighting technique commands like in tactical shooters.

I dont know if the concept of virtual classrooms makes sense, but a building with a couple of rooms of which each contains a classroom was in my head...
Or some vendor situation where you come next to the vendor stand and learn something about the product....or well the old example an online flirting/contact service ...but here I am still struggling to decide on something meaningfull...
________
MAINE MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
Last edited by plotti on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
plotti

Post by plotti »

does anybody know where to find some human characters, maybe animated in md2 format? they would enhance the illusion..

cheers
thomas
________
RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by plotti on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.