IrrNet - Irrlicht Network Framework 0.36 (Now Windows/Linux)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Uhm, void* to u16? That's insane. But when you add a cast it will never show up. Still it's insane...
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Changing the cast from void* to s32 stopped the errors.. but it still doesn't seem like I should do that.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

BlindSide wrote:Thats GCC being annoying.... Its possible to comment that line, it should be ok...
I think there is a compile flag to stop GCC from frowning on casting issues, look for it somewhere.
It's not only one line, it's dotted throughout NetManager.cpp I'm using latest svn btw.

I couldn't find the compiler flag that stops it from erroring on casts, but I'm pretty new to Code::Blocks so I could've easily missed it in the options somewhere.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Should be u32 not s32, then it will be perfectly fine.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Alright
empirepro

Post by empirepro »

is version 0.36 the latest or if not is there some place I can download the latest version? theres nothing on sourceforge to download.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You have to use an SVN client like TortoiseSVN and download it from the SVN server thats listed on the sourceforge project page.
markf

Post by markf »

hey there Blindside, before I begin ranting, let me say I think irrnet is a great idea and I loved the examples. Like some other people I'm using CodeBlocks with g++ as my compiler and the latest version of the code from your SVN repos. I found it very frustrating that I had to trawl through 14 pages to find the answers as to why this didnt compile on Linux..and not supporting g++ is fine, but please don't say you support it out of the box.
The main part I had a problem with was NetManager.cpp:
(u16)event.peer->data

I got it to compile in either of these two ways, however I am still getting segfaults, so maybe I'm doing something stupid.

(u16 &)event.peer->data
or
(u16)atoi((char *)event.peer->data)

Also I noticed that there has been no activity of late on your SVN repos and only 8 revisions in total, is the project still active? I would like to get that casting problem fixed so that other people on linux won't need to do so much work to enjoy this code. Thanks.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

It may work if you change the cast to a u32 instead of a u16. That, or you can comment the line out (I recommend first option).

Do you have any idea what line it segfaults on? Is it this line in question, or somewhere else?

The project is not very active, but I am trying to support linux (Else I would not answer the questions about compiling on G++ that I get all the time.).

Its really a matter of time and interest, I haven't had much interest and frankly, instead of improving it I want to start again and build on a better base. Ive learnt alot from my mistakes and from my experiences I feel confident I can make something considerably better, and prettier to look at. The problem is I don't have the time for something so huge, and since I don't feel worth improving it until I have time to remake the whole thing, this kind of stagnates project developement.

As I mentioned earlier however, I will allow any person that feels they are suitable to SVN access, and they may make updates and improvements as they feel due. (Maybe even submit a patch or something?).

Anyway, thats my feelings on IrrNet as of now. There are some things that I _may_ add in the near future however (Maybe):

1 - Stable file transfer.
2 - Encryption.

Cheers, I am happy to help with anything. (Oh, and happy new year :P )
vectorcorpse

Post by vectorcorpse »

yet another linux / cross platform post...
i know linux subject has already been discussed here, but there's still a gap in information for those who are new here.
I am trying to compile irrnet in linux for cross platform support using gcc and mingw, and i am unable to understand the lib and file structure so i can correctly setup a project in a Makefile.
ps: monkey link is not working but a simple post with his Makefile here on the forum would be extremly helpfull.
sorry for bugging again with this subject
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Just follow the usual method for win32 (Including all the files in your project including the enet C files), and define unix instead of win32.

IMPORTANT: Use the SVN version, its more linux-compatible, though there may still be a small easily fixable compile error here and there. (Some of those lines are unnecessary and can simply be commented out.)

If you are having trouble search for help on compiling Enet for linux, as irrNet's only dependencies are Enet and Irrlicht.

Cheers

PS: This thread has become a little full, and its not an appropriate place for technical support, so use the privmsg system if you can.
Slaine

Post by Slaine »

BlindSide wrote:Yes you are missing irrNet :lol: You must add it to your project files in MSVC by selecting add->existing files. And add all the irrnet files. Then you must also add all the supplied Enet .c files. Make sure you define #win32 and you should be sweet. :D

Cheers
I'm still getting the external symbol errors, even when I do as you say add->existing and choose all irrNet files and all enet files to my project, something fishy here :?
Slaine

Post by Slaine »

This is insane! I must be missing something really obvious which is throwing me off, I've setup tons of libs without this much hassle, agiea, newton, etc the errors are that similar to a missing lib, yet people on here say it's because they haven't added the code files too thier project, I've just done that, still doesn't work! Someone even said setting this up is trivial, no it's not!! otherwise I would of got it going in the last 4 hours of looking at errors with irrnet, could someone please be kind enough to post a quick setting up irrNet please :wink: The only reason I'm a little miffed is because the first post says please read instructions in the doc folder, where?

The errors are external symbol errors pointing to irrNet functions.

Thanks again.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Sorry for the trouble. What compiler/os are you using?
Slaine

Post by Slaine »

BlindSide wrote:Sorry for the trouble. What compiler/os are you using?
No that's okay it's just this looks like a really interesting library, I'm using MVS 5 and XP. It's probably something really obvious but I'm sure I did everything right :?

Firstly I did the usual add the include files to the project, that initially issued the external symbol errors, then you said they had to be added to the project as in the headers and the c files, this still seemed to produce the errors, at that exact point my brain exploded. :lol: