applying different textures to different sides of a cube [so

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
dearingj

applying different textures to different sides of a cube [so

Post by dearingj »

Let's say I'm making a pair of dice, using the built in cube scene node. I have separate texture files for each side. Can I apply each texture separately, or do I have to combine them into one file first?
Last edited by dearingj on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

I am also just a beginner, but I will try to help you with your question if I can.

I don't think the test cube scene node has the proper UV unwrapping to display a different texture on each side (I could be wrong). It might be best for you to create a cube in some kind of 3d graphics editor and apply the textures there. I can recommend Blender (it is free) but there are lots of others.

I have created a cube as an example to maybe help get you started.
Here is a UV layout of a cube.
I think it is best to always put all the textures for a mesh into a single image file. It will decrease load times and save space. You can use the UV layout as a template for painting or arranging your textures.
Here is an example image of the dice texture I "painted" using the above layout as a guide.

And just in case you are really bad off, here is a link to download an .obj cube that you can apply the above texture to, or use your own.

Edit: Though..... Using separate, tiny images for each face of the cube would prevent all that wasted space in the UV layout.
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
dearingj

Post by dearingj »

Thanks, that worked perfectly :)