Gavin's Irrlicht Tutorials

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful

Do you like my tutorials?

Yes
57%
No
14%
They're promising, but need improvement.
29%

Total votes: 7

GavRo

Gavin's Irrlicht Tutorials

Post by GavRo »

Hey, I'd just like to say that I decided to write some basic Irrlicht tutorials. You guys might want to check them out and critique them. There are 3 tutorials so far.

1) A Simple Irrlicht Window
2) Drawing 2D Images In Irrlicht
3) Integrating Python and Irrlicht

I'll add more tutorials as I improve with Irrlicht. The first two should be common knowledge, so I'm really most interested in knowing what you think of the third one.

I'll also add source code and binaries for them very soon. In the meantime, full source code is provided inside every pdf document.

My blog is here: http://happydesolation.blogspot.com. Thanks!!!
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Very nicely written python integration tutorial you got there. Great job man :)

Looking forward to more non-standard tutorials besides the stuff that irrlicht already comes with.
GavRo

Post by GavRo »

Sure, up next is integrating Irrlicht CLASSES into Python, and after that maybe some generalized openGL tutorials like on MD2 and OBJ loading as well as Irrlicht+Bullet tutorials as soon as I figure out how to make a physics engine controlled camera. I'd also take suggestions. Maybe a tutorial on creating your own sound engine with openAL...but I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Well, some of those tutorials are already well expalined in irrlicht...im not sure you need to write on them.

MD2 and OBJ loading? I belive its pretty well explained
openAL tutorial? irrKlang has extensive tutorials...so it is unnecessary

Irrlicht Classes into Python? Awesome
Irrlicht + Buller? There are some, but more tutorials are always welcome :)

-------
If at all possible I would love some tutorials clearing up shader integration into irrlicht (mutipass shaders especially).
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

OpenAL -> free to use
Irrklang -> limited
Not the same...
dbest

Post by dbest »

I like the tutorial style so far I have read only the 2d drawing tut and i think its good.

Will get to python when i need to use it. :)

OpenAl sounds good, how about audiere? this lib comes installed with the irrwizard game framework, so might help...
GavRo

Post by GavRo »

Umm, all good suggestions lol, but umm... they're a few things I should point out:
1) Yeah irrKlang is good, but its not completely free. OpenAL is.
2)When I said MD2 and OBJ loading tutorials, I was talking about using OpenGL and a good reference about the file format.
3)I was looking around at Audiere, and it looks nice. It looks like a complete idiot could use it, lol. But still, it is quite easy. However, it doesn't look like it supports 3d sound. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

And thanks for the good response on the python integration tutorials. I'll keep em coming. In fact, I'm working on it now.

I was planning a 3d math tutorial too, so that you can have an idea of how all this maths goes. Remember to support me, and contribute lol.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I'm not sure what you mean with 2), but since we're talking about Irrlicht here, we do not need tutorials about md2 or obj, because both are loaded by Irrlicht into a general structure for which the original format does not matter anymore.
Also making an OpenGL specific tutorial does not really make sense for a cross-platform render API abstraction like Irrlicht.
GavRo

Post by GavRo »

Relax, thats just for people who are interested in knowing whats its like. I mean writing that to teach people how to load file formats, so they can practice and eventually move on to more advanced file formats and maybe write new loaders for Irrlicht :P. Thats what I meant, I just thought it would be better to present the model loading tutorials in plain openGL in case non-Irrlicht people visited the blog so they wouldn't have to worry about the minor technicalities of learning the Irrlicht API.