Terrain Textures

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
trixs

Terrain Textures

Post by trixs »

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here so dont flame me too much ....So I am on a journey to create the greatest Game(MMO) EVER!! J /K lol - A little flaming is always healthy though..

Anyway, I am really just attempting to learn something about graphics as I have lots of free time it seems. I completed the various tutorials and am curious about terrain texturing. In #12?? we have terrain which basically stretches one picture over everything and then repeat another jpeg for upclose views. All fine and dandy if we dont want any uniqueness to the terrain.
So lets say we create a flat grassy land with a rocky hill in the middle of it. Now I can blend a few textures and stretch that over the heightmap. Of course it will not be very detailed. So I then add a detailed texture of grass. Ok, so the grass is detailed and its blended with my rock!!

In researching I found found various 'answers' to this - splatting and alphamaps. Apparently this is not supported in irrLicht, so how is it done here?

Thanks!
trixs

Post by trixs »

All,

Finally making progress after hours of searching lol - knows nothing of 3d graphics...

anyway for others that might see this the following looks promising.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... g+textures

I think most of you experienced folk think us newbs understand the correct
lingo to do a relevant search lol
krama757

Post by krama757 »

If you use irrSpintz then you can use his version of irrlicht along with some alpha mapping. He has some very nice examples.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

no the forums search function sucks chicken.
trixs

Post by trixs »

krama757 wrote:If you use irrSpintz then you can use his version of irrlicht along with some alpha mapping. He has some very nice examples.
Yea I read about his version earlier - Need more research :)

EDIT:

Anyone know any good shader tutorials or examples? Not the tutorial one ...Yea, search function does suck..
Frosty Topaz

Post by Frosty Topaz »

Pixel shader tutorial can be found here. Note this is a tutorial on using pixel shaders in Irrlicht, not on the shaders themselves.
Frosty Topaz
=========
It isn't easy being ice-encrusted aluminum silicate fluoride hydroxide...