annoying 'jump' bug

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
unknown_usr

annoying 'jump' bug

Post by unknown_usr »

Hi, I'm new to irrlicht engine, and so far I can say that this engine is one of the best free engines I have used. The wall climb bug is now fixed, so thats good :) however there is another annoying thing:

If I look up while walking forward the camera seems to jump up and down for some reason. Why is that and how do I fix it?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, did not notice this bug yet. But I'll have a look at it.
unknown_usr

Post by unknown_usr »

Same thing happens if you look down and press down arrow (move backwards). Or look straight up and press forward arrow. The camera starts to move up and down. Try to reduce gravity acceleration, mabe you will notice it then :) It is slightly noticible in the techdemo. Look up and move forward and the screen starts to shake.
unknown_usr

Post by unknown_usr »

So, did you have a look at this niko? I used version 0.4.1 of the irrlicht engine when compiling my program. My theory is that it's CollisionResponseAnimator's fault. What happens is that if you look above horison while moving the camera routine moves the camera up, then the animator routine is called which slowly(depending on the gravity value)brings the camera down.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hi, this is not really a bug, but a problem with the camera: It always tries to move in the direction it looks to. So if you look up and move forward, you are not moving forward, but up. And as gravity forbids this, the collision detection responses as if you made a short jump. I'll add an additional camera control with only horizontal movement later.