Problem starting off...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Mysterio

Problem starting off...

Post by Mysterio »

Hi,

Look I know some of you pros might hate me for asking a stupid question like this but I realy need to know this...

So how do you start? When I open Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 6.0 and click on new I get a list with lots of different application types to start with, so which one am I supposed to pick?
Last edited by Mysterio on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

It depends on what you're trying to do. I'm not being snide, I just have no idea what it is that you're attempting to achieve.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

download the latest visual studio express for free here...

http://www.microsoft.com/express/

get the c++ version, ok?

then load the tutorials solution, that will load all samples including the irrlicht engine sources as well.

then look into the hello world sample program, start reading the source code from there.

learn to read code first, you can't write new code with what you have at the moment. you're asking questions that looks and sounds like a c++ beginner.

let me emhasize the word "READ," you have to read the code in the tutorials/samples. Once you understand all of them, you can start modifying the source code.

You actually don't need to start from scratch. Run the tutorial code and see for yourself how the code works, start from tutorial #1, then move slowly towards the last.
Mysterio

Post by Mysterio »

rogerborg wrote:It depends on what you're trying to do. I'm not being snide, I just have no idea what it is that you're attempting to achieve.
I'm trying to write a game and I know it needs to be a .exe file but there are two or three different types of .exe files in the "New" pannel.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

That's an application type, not a "file format". Seriously, this matters. If you want to communicate with other developers, then you have to learn the common lexicon. It's not that hard, because the words are on the screen in front of you.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
pippy

Post by pippy »

Start with Microsoft's visual studio express edition.

I started with Microsoft's visual 6.0 but found that gcc creates better executable files, but the newer visual studios are free and are easier to code with their code hints

The alternative is gcc, but it's best for ensuring multi-platform support.

Microsoft's best for beginners as it has many syntax features that makes it easy to code in