Upgrading forum to phpBB3?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Do you want an upgrade to phpBB3?

Yes
45%
No
19%
Don't care
35%

Total votes: 31

jingquan

Post by jingquan »

I wouldn't mind a neater CSS and graphics design so I went for a Yes.
Vsk

Post by Vsk »

I don't matter the desing. It is ok.
I don't like the SEARCH. IT IS REALLY SUCKING!!!.
I don't know if there is some find of fix it. I think is the worse search algoritmh the I ever saw.
Besides that is pretty good.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I'm taking that you're referring to the current forum's search feature.
Well, I didn't check but I'm pretty sure if anything could have been fixed in it, it was done in phpBB3.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi. I've read your post and decided to install it on my own server.

Was very easy to install basic setup is also easy.
I like the look of this new PHPbb.
http://www.clavet.org/forum/
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

MasterGod wrote:I'd like to hear saigumi - System and Forum Admin's opinion about it..
*Poof* What do you need?

I really haven't been following Irrlicht too much in the last year, though I am kind of back. Been trolling for a while though to get back in the swing of things.

phpBB3 does have some intersting perks, but being an old fogey who watches things self destruct the second I touch them, I'm almost to the point that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Crud, how do I do this again?
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I've checked and I'm almost certain phpBB3 can't be installed normally on SF.Net. I'm not sure how it can be done as the server is read-only no matter what - SF.Net support said to me that it's because of security reasons.
I guess to install phpBB3 we'll need pre-modified files to update with our data..
I guess irrlicht forum wont go that far so I better hope I'll succeed making it with my own forum..
lester

Post by lester »

Upgrading to phpBB3 would be a great idea, if sf.net wouldn't be such a dumb hosting. I tried to install phpbb3 recently, but failed because of stupid errors with permissions. I don't know how to work around this problem, so have to stay on 2.0 version of the forum.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

lester wrote:Upgrading to phpBB3 would be a great idea, if sf.net wouldn't be such a dumb hosting. I tried to install phpbb3 recently, but failed because of stupid errors with permissions. I don't know how to work around this problem, so have to stay on 2.0 version of the forum.
I said, they told me for security reasons their servers are Read-Only. The only workaround I can think of is setting phpBB3 on a private server and copy the modified files from there to SF.Net. Luckily phpBB2 auto generated the important file (config.php IIRC) so I could upload it manually, I don't understand why phpBB3 doesn't too..
lester

Post by lester »

Luckily phpBB2 auto generated the important file (config.php IIRC) so I could upload it manually, I don't understand why phpBB3 doesn't too..
Iirc, the problem was not only with the config.php but with some directories. Whatever I tried to set their permission a+w gave no result.