Making Maps

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Nope. As you said, hammer is only for HalfLife. But the .map you get created from 3dsmax or Gmax with GLB tools may be opened in any of the 2 editors (hammer-gtkradiant). It's untextured, and clean, but the geometry of your map gets exported without errors. You use the exported base map in the editor you need for the game you need, in our case, Gtkradiant (or any other Q3 compatible editor).

I just mentioned it since the tutorial is very Hammer specific. That's because Ca3de uses it for level editing, although Carsten already started developing Cawe (Ca3de world editor), so license problems will be over.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I know many of you only think in free or open source projects but...hammer is only allowed in use for non comercial projects. As well as qeradiant, and gtk radiant. And also q3 bsp id compiler, and Ydnar's derived from it version.

So, those wanting to make comercial projects, are left to just use quark...and the very mentioned new open source q3 bsp compiler.

anyway, is interesting that of being able to do a *.map (is that the extension for q3 maps?) in gmax...and then compile in bsp with the open source q3 bsp compiler...

so, then, in that map is ported the lighting info...as you can surely create lights in gmax, but what you can't do is generate the lightmaps, as gmax can't render... but the lighting info is created and generated the lightmap outside inside the bsp compiler, I suppose.

Extra cool then, as Gmax imho is much a better map editor than quark. In what is lighting and geometry, I mean.

Yet though, I'd much prefer use also Blender fo rthis, in a future.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Afecelis:
I tried to make maps with Gmax and GLB (but i didn't exported them to Irrlicht or textured them yet...), using your great tutorial :wink:

but I have problems to create some things:
-windows and doors (I don't think that I can use booleans in a bsp level, is it?)
-stairs
-pipes (the pipe plugin is difficult to use)

can you help me?