does irrlicht not support .3ds skeletal animation?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Kaeles

does irrlicht not support .3ds skeletal animation?

Post by Kaeles »

mmm
cause it just seems to kill my compiler when i try to load any .3ds meshes i make with bones into it....
or any .3ds meshes at all really.......
is there a certian version of 3dsmax i need to be using????
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

I wasn't aware that .3ds even stored information about bones, it certainly doesn't store any animation information. .X seems to be the choice animated mesh format as it supports a bones and weight information ( I think there's other features as well, but I only know what bones and weight information is so... )
Kaeles

mmmm

Post by Kaeles »

well...........
i guess thats what i get for assuming eh?
hahahaha, it doesnt matter, i decided to find a .x exporter anyways....
but the weird thing was that it wouldnt even load the things that came in the tutorial if i opened them and exported again... it was very strange.....
nonetheless, i used reality factor and exported some stuff as .3ds and it loaded fine..... i was confused..... thats why i wondered if the different versions of 3dsmax contained different info in the .3ds files....
i think your right though, im not sure that it does contain any information, i just thought it did, but i guess thats why this is called beginners ?
heheheheheh
thanks though.
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv »

Yes, different versions of 3d max produces different 3ds files. It is not an "standard" format, they do what they want with it.
ru guo ni yao ai, ni jiang bu hui shi qu
sybixsus

Post by sybixsus »

No, different version of Max do not create different 3ds files. 3ds is not the 3dsMax format. 3ds is a very, very old format from the days before 3dsMax when it was just a dos program called 3d Studio. The format has not changed since then and will not do so now.

It has never and will never support bones. I understand the temptation to use it where possible, as .x exporters can be pretty fiddly ( I know this only too well ) but you're going to have to use .x for skeletal animation unless you want to try Md3 with the Md3 importer. Md2 is also supported, and skeletal animation will export ok to MD2, but the bones themselves are not exported, so you won't be able to retrieve bone positions for positioning objects and you won't be able to do any kind of code-influenced animation like rag doll and animation tweening.