[Tutorial] Normal/Light Map generation with Blender

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
vi-wer

[Tutorial] Normal/Light Map generation with Blender

Post by vi-wer »

I've made a short tutorial on normal map generation with blender. Just follow this link to go to the page where it's located.

EDIT:
I've added another blender tutorial: lightmap with radiosty.

>>Lightmap tutorial<<
>>Normalmap tutorial<<

Normalmap:
Last edited by vi-wer on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Nice! And thanks. :D
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Umm is Blender 2.46 even out yet? I'm pretty sure it is not, as the download link says Blender 2.45, and that definitely doesn't support tangent space normal map generation. :( Oh well, I guess I will have to resort to the SVN.

EDIT:
Wow, the Blender guys seem to have made it so easy to bake tangent normal maps though. That's great, because I thought they were going to have you manually do it by adding the 6 cameras, etc.

Great tutorial!
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I used the first builds , and tested to work not only normal maps, but also newer displacement maps for also real time. All worked. And as they kept polishing, I guess is even better now. BTW, builds lately are very stable, in my experience, I test em a lot, and often use in production. The tutorial seems clear and to the point.
I am not saying i recomend using builds in production, is not thought for that: I just do.(but better deal with care)
BTW, about UV part, there's said it is simplified, one thing to note is you cannot use overlapping mirrored UV chunks as is usually done in game tetxures to save pixel space. There are some more details to know, but I think is way better to not mess more (good criteria on the tut here) , as most important is show how simple it has become now in blender(and what does make the map itself):Besides if generated normal maps in other tools, you already know those tricky things,if not, will discover. (tips for seams, etc. Also can be easily discovered in first tests)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

By first builds, do you mean builds that the Blender Foundation have provided themselves? If so, do you have any links to where I can download them.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

no , I refered (first builds having those features) to compilations made by users, from trunk, etc...

get them here:

graphicall.org
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

vermeer wrote:no , I refered (first builds having those features) to compilations made by users, from trunk, etc...

get them here:

graphicall.org
Ah, alright. Thanks vermeer.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
vi-wer

Post by vi-wer »

Here'sa good one for windows. It's an experimental build but it (probably) has everything there's available for blender. It's also the following build of the one I used for the tutorial.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

vi-wer wrote:Here'sa good one for windows. It's an experimental build but it (probably) has everything there's available for blender. It's also the following build of the one I used for the tutorial.
Ah, great vi-wer. And at the risk of sounding lazy, do you happen to know where I could find a pre-built Mac Tiger version. :D (Sorry but that is the only place available, right now, where I can do serious modeling. My Win32 GPU sucks.)
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
vi-wer

Post by vi-wer »

This one is an OS X Intel build for Tiger and Leopard. If you need a PPC build use the Daily Automated Built from graphicall.org.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Wow even greater. Once again, thank you.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
vi-wer

Post by vi-wer »

Good news. I've made another Blender tutorial :D .
This time it's a lightmap tutorial using Blenders Radiosity. Which lets you use lights of any form and not only point or spot. Of course the quality of the map is not bad too.
The link is in the first post.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

vi-wer wrote:Good news. I've made another Blender tutorial :D .
This time it's a lightmap tutorial using Blenders Radiosity. Which lets you use lights of any form and not only point or spot. Of course the quality of the map is not bad too.
The link is in the first post.
Vi-wer, you are amazing! You are the type of Blender person that this community needs. :lol:
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B