Virtual Cubemapping demo

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I am using minimilistic-style, why is everyone ignoring me when I say you can press R to see the real texture atlas on screen!? :P

PS: I stuck some more images of the shadow mapping on GameDev forums (Pending approval, so it won't work right away) : http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=486651

PS2: You need to determine almost everything per-pixel, that means the divide by W and, more importantly, which face the pixel recieves. The room I am using is just a cube, now throw a cube and watch how each face of the projection stretches/skews as the cube moves around. Now imagine how this would look if I did the calculations per-vertex, which I only have like, 8 of. Ok don't, it would look too horrible. :P
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
fmx

Post by fmx »

lol, I knew about the R button, but I thought maybe it just demonstrated how your RTTs looked - I didn't realise that it was actual texture-atlas which you were passing to the shader!

yeah, per-vertex really isn't the way to go...
(or is it ?? we've only seen YOUR implementation of virtual-cubemapping...)

calculating the correct cube-face should be relatively easy using the vertex-normal... but how would "corners" / "borderline" cases work? if you're manually forcing the frag to use a specific cube-face is such cases, then won't that cause seaming?

I'll try a few things when I get back from work tonight and see what happens

the new forum should be rather interesting, and I'm sure it will also help to advertise Irrlicht a little more :P

Thanks BlindSide!
:D
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Pictures are up at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=486651

I wonder when I will have time to release the demo...
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Your images were on the Top Images of the Day!

On a more serious note, I just wanted to stop by and say that this demo runs great on my ATI Raedon 200M Xpress. Which if I recall, you have one too. But one thing that occured was the successive crashing due to the physics simulation (I am guessing). Because a cube would fall through the floor, and then it would crash.

But either way, great demo!
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yeah bullet is unfortunately very unstable, I'm not quite sure what its problem is.