Beware! Hilarious BUG!

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
MasterGod

Beware! Hilarious BUG!

Post by MasterGod »

All I did was updating to the latest revision (1296) - trunk, and I got this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpzFG5beEc

Instead of watching him standing like this:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/87/hw00pz4.png

Same with Direct3D9/OpenGL.
Video captured using these settings:
[Settings]
DriverType = EDT_DIRECT3D9
WindowSize = 800 x 600
Bits= 32
Fullscreen = true
Stencilbuffer = false
Vsync = false
AntiAlias = true
HighPrecisionFPU = true
Edit:
Mr.Dwarf.x :
Last edited by MasterGod on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

HAHAHAHHAHAH nice!
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

LOL a clown.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

This bug report was once again as useful as your very early ones. Simply a hilarious report. Watching an almost unrecognizably small animated something is not really the way to go. Why can't you describe what's happening, and check against standard examples which don't have all this disturbing crap all over the view?
Anyway, it's a bug in the quaternion changes in revision 1291, but I don't know what it is exactly. The only real code change is an important bug fix in the not yet used method rotationFromTo. Hmm.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ok, revision 1298 fixed it somehow. Seems like q.getMatrix(m) does produce a different matrix than m=q.getMatrix(). To be exact, the latter produces a transformed matrix. This is totally weird and needs some more work. Any suggestions for what is the correct matrix?
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

hybrid wrote:Anyway, it's a bug in the quaternion changes in revision 1291, but I don't know what it is exactly. The only real code change is an important bug fix in the not yet used method rotationFromTo. Hmm.
I knew it was related to a very new change so I knew/guessed you'll know what it is right away..
hybrid wrote:This is totally weird and needs some more work. Any suggestions for what is the correct matrix?
I'm just learning how matrices goes with 3d graphics so I can't help there, sorry :wink:
But yes, you fixed it.

P.S
All I did was updating and posting the result without trying to find the problem cause I was pretty sure it's a simple thing you or whoever made the change that caused that, would find and fix easily. If you didn't knew what caused it right away and needed quite some time to debug and find the reason I would have done it instead but it seems my guess was right :-P.
And which report do you refer to that is "as useful" as this one? (except the one with the GUI/createNewSmgr(), you know what I mean...) :?:

Edit:
Oh and there's this new warning:
1>d:\programming\projects\active projects\visual studio 2008\nusoftware products\svn\trunk\include\irrlicht\quaternion.h(483) : warning C4244: 'argument' : conversion from 'const double' to 'float', possible loss of data
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Don't know which bug reports, it's just a basic mood (and was just some ignorable ranting about the headline). You should simply state which things are strange, explicitly mentioning the things you encountered. And you shoudl especially check twice if your posting could be understood as being offending: A hilarious bug is usually a bug even a noob wouldn't do!
I think that the matrix has to be the way the transposed method creates, so I will change the two names once I am sure about that.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I'm sorry if you got offended by my last post, I certainly didn't mean that :oops:

Except that, smile a bit (:)) hybrid, life is Good!
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I can sense your sarcasim, spintz. At least I think I can. And although I agree with (somewhat), I have to defend hyrbrid (somewhat also) on his position.

I originally held the same stance as hybrid, with regard to MasterGod. (Now changed.) But I used to not have too much of a liking for him because he spammed about 20 threads writing "Is this v1.4 compatible", and other annoying things of that sort.

But as I said, he has changed in my opinion, so...take my respone as a grain of salt.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Halifax wrote:because he spammed about 20 threads writing "Is this v1.4 compatible"
Hey hey hey! They were only 19 :lol:
Halifax wrote: But as I said, he has changed in my opinion, so...take my respone as a grain of salt.
8)

P.S
(People still remember those I-was-stupid-enough-not-to-think-them-as-spam posts :shock:, wow.. )
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Halifax wrote:I can sense your sarcasim, spintz. At least I think I can. And although I agree with (somewhat), I have to defend hyrbrid (somewhat also) on his position.

I originally held the same stance as hybrid, with regard to MasterGod. (Now changed.) But I used to not have too much of a liking for him because he spammed about 20 threads writing "Is this v1.4 compatible", and other annoying things of that sort.

But as I said, he has changed in my opinion, so...take my respone as a grain of salt.
No sarcasm was intended...at all. I meant every word of it. He shouldn't be allowed to communicate with the community at all.

As a representative of the Irrlicht team, he should be more responsible and mature in how he interacts with the community. He insults community members publicly, asks them to leave because they might disagree with him more than he likes and god knows whatever crazy intentions he has.

MasterGod is a good guy, a bit over-zealous at time, but he tries hard. Bashing the guy, publicly, should not be tolderated. If Niko actually read the forums or even paid attention to Irrlicht at all anymore, I would be very inclined to think he would disapprove of this behavior and treating community members as hybrid often does.

But oh well, this post will probably be deleted too, but at least someone is willing to tell hybrid how much of an ass he is.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

No sarcasm was intended
Ah okay, I was debating with myeslf. Given the past, I figured it might not be.
As a representative of the Irrlicht team, he should be more responsible and mature in how he interacts with the community. He insults community members publicly, asks them to leave because they might disagree with him more than he likes and god knows whatever crazy intentions he has.
Yes I have seen this before, but he is generally nice. I will agree with this point though.
MasterGod is a good guy, a bit over-zealous at time, but he tries hard. Bashing the guy, publicly, should not be tolderated.
True, MasterGod does try these days. And he has made some nice contributions to the Irrlicht engine.
But oh well, this post will probably be deleted too, but at least someone is willing to tell hybrid how much of an ass he is.
I wouldn't say that people aren't willing. I would just say that people can't go off and program their own 3d engines. :lol:
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

This is stupid. Can we please focus on the development of a 3D engine and not on dramatics? Both of you, spintz and hybrid are acting a little too hostile towards each other and I urge you to keep this to a form of private communication such as PMs. You are both talented individuals and both of you have contributed so much to the Irrlicht codebase, It will be all for nothing if you carry on with these silly theatrics.

Cheers :D
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, the posting basically said "Mods, please delete.", so that's what happened.
He insults community members publicly, asks them to leave because they might disagree with him more than he likes
I only adviced that to exactly one person, and the reason was because of repeated, causeless insults and personal attacks. And I really thought that this leave was agreed on.
I urge you to keep this to a form of private communication such as PMs
I'd really like to avoid this kind of discussions at all. I don't need anyone to post insulting messages anywhere, neither public nor private. And I have better things to do than explaining how people discuss in a civilized, non-insulting way.

I guess that MasterGod knows that he did some annoying things in the past :P And we also discussed this several times. But when someone posts a teasing report he should also be aware that some similar reply might follow. Oh, and I did reply with the same amount of similies that the OP had :wink: I even tried hard to immediately fix this bug even though I first didn't really know what it is about at all. I even fixed all those "warnings" bug reports from MasterGod. This one's just not commited, yet :)
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

hybrid wrote:I guess that MasterGod knows that he did some annoying things in the past :P And we also discussed this several times ... I even tried hard to immediately fix this bug even though I first didn't really know what it is about at all. I even fixed all those "warnings" bug reports from MasterGod. This one's just not commited, yet :)
Yeah :oops: :P ..
I guess you just weren't in the right mood that day :wink:
And in hybrid's favor he did fixed it right away, so..

All in all it seems everything is back to normal again :)

Well, I wish ya all a good day :o