RetroTank3D - New Playable Demo

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
garrittg

RetroTank3D - New Playable Demo

Post by garrittg »

Still has a long ways to go but I've made a lot of progress lately on this project so there is a new playable demo available. 2 players at the same PC should be able to have a pretty good go :)

RetroTank3D is a retro 3D remake of the tank portion of Atari Combat! It is meant to look and act nearly like the original only in 3D.
2008_04_06 Playable Demo (Windows)
2008_04_06 Playable Demo (Linux)

---
Title Screen Keys:

F12 => Cycle Color Schemes

---
In-Game Keys:

Player 1 (Retro Tank):
X => Forward
Z => Left
C => Right
TAB => Fire

Player 2 (Sleek Tank):
Up Arrow => Forward
Left Arrow => Left
Right Arrow => Right
Enter => Fire

Views:

F1 => Tilted 3D Overhead
F2 => 3D Overhead
F3 => Full Retro Overhead
F4 => Split-Screen
F5 => Player 1
F6 => Player 2

Other Keys:

F7 => Toggle Guided Shell Mode
F8 => Toggle Invisible Tank Mode
F9 => Pause
ESC => Exit to Main Menu

---

here are some updated screenshots. Be sure to do a hard browser refresh to get the newest photos in case the old are cached.

Last edited by garrittg on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Wow, a throwback game using a fairly new 3d engine. That's pretty cool, and I like it.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
JP

Post by JP »

Haha very retro!

Do you plan on keeping it so retro? Presumably you do plan on keeping it looking the same as that, though some lighting would be a good idea i think so that you get some shading on the objects so they actually look more 3D.

I guess the bonus of having it look so retro is they can't say it's crap graphics, i'ts retro graphics... it's meant to look like that :lol:

One thing i'd advise is not having the tanks go back to their starting points instantly when a kill is made, it's probably just like that because it's still unfinished though.

EDIT: Also i just noticed that even though i'd exited the game and the window had disappeared the game's process was still running so i had to end it manually via task manager... not sure why that would happen though...
Image Image Image
TheBeef

Post by TheBeef »

Having the ground and sky the same color is a little disorienting, but that might just be me.

Very cool mate :)
switch_case

Post by switch_case »

i also like the idea, programming a retro game with a new irrlicht ^^
but you should definetly change the sky color.
if life could only be written in C++...
so much features, money++, remove_childs(), choose parents, life = new life, and no more <IDIOT> templates !
if you're looking for an nerdy coding language: http://lolcode.com/
garrittg

Post by garrittg »

thank you for trying it out and the replies :) there is a new download above that should fix the delta timing and has completed deaths now.
Do you plan on keeping it so retro?
definately. over the course of development ive gone through stages of look starting with a cel-shaded and outlined cartoony look and progressing from there. my original design goal though was to feel as if you stepped right into the original game and im finally pretty satisfied in hitting that target.
One thing i'd advise is not having the tanks go back to their starting points instantly when a kill is made, it's probably just like that because it's still unfinished though.
you are correct. i had that in as a placeholder until i figured out what i wanted to do. originally i wanted exactly what the original did. after implementing that i didnt like it so much so now it uses a random respawn to set respawn points. ive had very good feedback on that system so far.
you should definetly change the sky color.
Having the ground and sky the same color is a little disorienting, but that might just be me.
very interesting comments thank you. i had not heard that yet in the playtesting so far. the sky and the floor are actually the same background fill. it just appears to be the floor and the sky. i may look into working out a new system where the sky is a lighter shade of the floor. i could probably do this pretty easy for the 3P views by filling the top half of the screen with a lighter shade.
running so i had to end it manually via task manager... not sure why that would happen though...
i have not heard of that experience yet either. did you try it a couple times and it did it both or just that once? how long did you wait? for the first time today it took on one machine probably 20 secs to go back to windows but im guessing thats not the case in your situation. would you be ok trying the new download to see if you can replicate?

again thank you and please comment more especially if you try the new release above!
JP

Post by JP »

The new death 'animation thing' is very cool! certainly an improvement there. One thought is that you could also have a little sfx when the tank actually respawns, like a little ding or something.

No signs of the process still hanging around after quitting this time, though this is a different PC i think. It could have just been a weird fluke or windows messing around i guess!
Image Image Image
garrittg

Post by garrittg »

new release. several bug fixes but the cream of this one is the invisible tank and guided shell modes :)

have fun!
garrittg

Post by garrittg »

updated. new menu sounds and Linux build. probably be my last update for a while since im getting into the next phase of dev (multiplayer).
hessiess

Post by hessiess »

good, simple game :)

are you thinking of making an AI player?