RakNet / Irrlicht bindings suggestions

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
rakkar

RakNet / Irrlicht bindings suggestions

Post by rakkar »

I plan to write bindings between Irrlicht and RakNet, similar to how I did in Ogre 3D. Before I start, I want to ask the community if there were any particular types of integrations they wanted to see.

Lacking any other suggestions, I will add an example project to Irrlicht that uses RakNet to view a remote system with 3D animation. Most likely this will be tutorial 4 (Movement).

Another option is write a game demo using RakNet and Irrlicht. That's perhaps more useful and interesting, but I'd rather help on an existing small project than write something from scratch.

Anyway, if you have suggestions, please let me know before I get started so I can demonstrate the features that people need the most help with.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

<giddy schoolgirl>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!</giddy schoolgirl>

I'm super excited by this (you may be able to tell), but unfortunately I don't have any suggestions, mostly because RakNet is so nicely designed that I didn't have any problems understanding or integrating it. Please take that as a compliment rather than apathy. ;)
Last edited by rogerborg on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

thisis cool, when im back later i will edit this post with ideas.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I would be very glad to see it though I don't have any ideas, sorry.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Hehe @ rogerborg.

Sounds good :)

I can't give much technical suggestions as I don't know much about RakNet/networking. Yet. But I know that most projects I assume wouldn't be purely using Irrlicht, they might also use a physics engine such as ODE. So maybe that would affect the bindings, I don't know!! :D