Free Levels/Maps for FPS game?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
twilight17

Free Levels/Maps for FPS game?

Post by twilight17 »

I was searching for a long time for some free maps to use with Irrlicht... and found some quake 3 maps that I liked... So i tried them out and it was totally messed up... I also tried Counter Strike: Source .BSP maps and they didn't work at all. So my question is.. where do I find good maps, that can be used in a project (not commercial)?

Thank you.

Oh, and they can be in any format (.X, .3DS, whatever, as long as they are textured)
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
JP

Post by JP »

The Quake maps rely on a set of standard textures which aren't included in the map's pk3 file but are included in the Quake 3 game folder, so if you've got the game then you find most of the required textures and whittle out the ones that you don't need.

There aren't really any game levels/maps that you can use... but you could create your own by collecting together a few models and placing lots of them around, such as trees and small buildings, though that only really works for maps that are outside, maps that are inside of buildings sort of need to be modelled....
Image Image Image
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

I saw a tool called GtkRadiant would that work to crate my own maps? Or should I just use blender?
JP

Post by JP »

GtkRadiant is part of the toolchain used to make quake maps so that would work.

Blender would work also and is apparently pretty easy to use if you follow the tutorials.
Image Image Image
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Ok thank you, I'll try to make a cool level :)
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Oh wow! I never realized how much I suck at creating levels... does anyone know where I can get some :?: :D
Monochrome

Post by Monochrome »

twilight17 wrote:Oh wow! I never realized how much I suck at creating levels... does anyone know where I can get some :?: :D
Have you checked your signature?
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Oh, heads up. Any of valve's .bsp maps WILL NOT work with irrlicht. Neither will most of the Quakes. The only format that does work is one particular version of Quake3's bsp files. That is all. Just because it has .bsp on the end does not mean it's the same type of file :)

QuArK is a good Quake3 level design tool, in case gtkradiant is a bit too much for you.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
JP

Post by JP »

Monochrome wrote:
twilight17 wrote:Oh wow! I never realized how much I suck at creating levels... does anyone know where I can get some :?: :D
PMP TTM!!! XD

I'd offer to make a simple level for you as i'm bored at work but i only have today and tomorrow to do it as i'm off on holiday for 2 weeks on the weekend and when i get back my PS3 devkit should have been fixed (it blew up :() so i'll be able to get back to coding.
Image Image Image
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Dark_Kilauea wrote:Oh, heads up. Any of valve's .bsp maps WILL NOT work with irrlicht. Neither will most of the Quakes. The only format that does work is one particular version of Quake3's bsp files. That is all. Just because it has .bsp on the end does not mean it's the same type of file :)

QuArK is a good Quake3 level design tool, in case gtkradiant is a bit too much for you.
I know I've tested Half Life maps, CS:S maps, TF2 maps :lol:
Monochrome wrote:
Yeah xD
JP wrote: PMP TTM!!! XD

I'd offer to make a simple level for you as i'm bored at work but i only have today and tomorrow to do it as i'm off on holiday for 2 weeks on the weekend and when i get back my PS3 devkit should have been fixed (it blew up :() so i'll be able to get back to coding.
Whats PMP TTM??? :lol: Anyway, A level would be nice :). Thanks everyone
JP

Post by JP »

PMP TTM = Piss my pants to the max... it means i found it utterly hilarious :D

Too late for me to do a map now i'm afraid as i'm off for 2 weeks now! And i probably won't be able to do anything after anyway.

What i did for maps in my Uni project was to randomly generate them using a maze generation algorithm. maybe that's an option for you?

Or you could just learn how to model a simple map... i found a good looking Milkshape tutorial on how to do it the other day but can't find it now :lol: i'm sure there are many more if you look for them. Doing a basic map made of cubes wouldn't take too long, you could even do it in irrEdit to be honest!

It may not be what you want in the long term but it will work in the short term until you can find a way of getting some nicer maps done so it will help you continue development!
Image Image Image
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

:lol: Ok thanks anyway :P