Can irrlicht engine be used for boardcasting graphics engine

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
robyav

Can irrlicht engine be used for boardcasting graphics engine

Post by robyav »

hi ,
i am very much interested in irrlicht engine impressed in the real time capability of it .can this engine be used for boardcasting graphics creation in real time like all the graphics what you see in bbc cnn tv channels ..

thanking you
robyav
Birdman

Re: Can irrlicht engine be used for boardcasting graphics en

Post by Birdman »

robyav wrote:hi ,
i am very much interested in irrlicht engine impressed in the real time capability of it .can this engine be used for boardcasting graphics creation in real time like all the graphics what you see in bbc cnn tv channels ..

thanking you
robyav
Honestly i don't see why you couldn't use Irrlicht in any kind realtime rendering applications.

For broadcasting you will have to use a special video card, or a decent card with TV OUT minimum. (but this doesn't have nothing to do with Irrlicht of course).

All you will have to setup is IRR to render on a window wich will open in your Second Monitor (TV OUT), and you are set to go :)
The sleeper must awaken!
JP

Post by JP »

Well broadcast companies probably pre-render all the stuff, it won't be real-time graphics, so you don't even need a real-time engine i guess.

But yes irrlicht is capable of all of this really. You can get awesome quality graphics with irrlicht, it all relies on the quality of your textures and models that you use so you just need good artists basically.

Although with irrlicht there's not any easy way of capturing a video of it.. you could fairly easily set up a system to do it though so it is possible.
Image Image Image
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Ah this reminds me of the good old days of genlocks and making overlays for VHS videos on the Amiga. :)
Yes there's no reason why you couldn't do this, but there are reasons why you shouldn't.
There are complete packages that already do this, so if you plan on using Irrlicht to do it then it may be cheaper to just buy one of the already available progams, rather than pay developers to reinvent the wheel.
If you plan on making and selling such a program, Irrlicht is a good choice. You'd have to hack in video support, but many people have already done this and the code is available on these forums.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
robyav

where should i start from

Post by robyav »

hi thanks for you valuable replys
where should i start from ..API will it help ....
can you guys guide me throug.

robyav
JP

Post by JP »

Run through the tutorials and learn how the basics of the engine from them, use the API and the source code to learn more about functions and features.

If you run into trouble then post on the forum and people will be able to help you out :)
Image Image Image
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Maybe you can also describe a little more about your project - what you want to render and how you want to put it to a broadcast device. That would help to guide you to more related topics and help you with setting up the video stuff.
robyav

Post by robyav »

i would like to build lower thirds, like the one we see on tv's.news tickers etc
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Uh... that's mostly text and maybe a few images, right?

Is it your intention to overlay this on top of a live video stream?

The clearer that you are about exactly what you intend to do, the more we can help you.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
robyav

Post by robyav »

yes that is right .can we put 3d images and 3d characters text in this like a very good overlay .
robyav

Post by robyav »

how can we do this and where should i start working on ...
pls guide me ....

thanks
robyav
Zeuss

Post by Zeuss »

I know the BBC's graphics for the news and such is real time running on some in house linux boxes/setup. The beeb does a lot of that stuff in house now most of it on linux. I read an article on it once, can't remember the link for it though.
Help make Irrlicht even Better! Create and submit your own Irrlicht Extension
Want a Games Education? Try The Academy of Interactive Entertainment