Why is my B3D model corrupted in Irrlicht?

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
shingoshing

Why is my B3D model corrupted in Irrlicht?

Post by shingoshing »

Hi all,

I'm now facing another problem with my B3D model. It is built using 3ds max 2008. And I use the Blitz3D to export it into B3D format, and load it into the game. It becomes this:
And there is an error message in the console:
"B3dMeshLoader: Weight has bad vetex id (no link to meshbuffer index found)"

The 3D model is skinned with the built-in Biped, and all weights are already normalized to 1.

I've tried a lot of ways but still can't figure out the reason, so I have no choice but to post it here...

Thanks for reading this...
JP

Post by JP »

I've seen this console error before as well with one of my b3ds, don't know why though.

As it suggests the weight for that vertex which isn't animating has a bad vertex id so it doesn't get linked to that vertex and hence not animated so it stays where it is whilst the others move with the animation.

No idea why though, hopefully the devs can help out!
Image Image Image
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Luke is the man for B3D stuff, but I'll make some suggestions anyway-

First prove that it isn't a problem with your exporter. If I remember correctly there is an official B3D viewer on the blitz3d website. If it animates correctly in blitz then it isn't a problem with 3D Studio Max or the exporter, so it must be a problem with Irrlicht's B3D loader or SkinnedMesh animator.

Secondly, please provide a link to your mesh. This will give anyone who is interested in the problem a head start at fixing it. If you are paranoid about people using or sharing your mesh, put your info and terms in a readme.txt in the zip file, for example: "Mesh copyright 2008 shingoshing. you may only use this mesh for testing and debugging the Irrlicht Engine's mesh loaders"
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
shingoshing

Post by shingoshing »

Here is my 3d model:
B3D Format, MAX Format

I have not found the B3D viewer yet, but there is no problem with aother model... :roll:
So I guess the problem only occurs in this model.

Thanks anyway! :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ok, the error is at least reproducible. But I didn't have time, yet, to check the actual data. Moving to bug reports to avoid losing this thread.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Ah, sorry. The B3D viewer is part of the 3D Studio exporter, I tried running it without 3DS installed but it doesn't work.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
alrusdi

Post by alrusdi »

Native .b3d engine (Blitz3D) can't load your model. Try to set all weights to 1. Also tell me Max's object name which contains "unweighted" vertex (something like "Bip01 L Thigh"). Can you provide this model in max7 version?

Unfortunately your model have some other issues... Probably .b3d format (currently?) is not best choise for Irrlicht. Try Panda .x exporter for 3d Studio Max...