Anyone got a fix for rotating billboards?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
c_olin3404

Anyone got a fix for rotating billboards?

Post by c_olin3404 »

I've seen a bit of talk about how it is impossible to rotate a billboard... and this kinda sucks for all of us making fps's... all i need to do is rotate the billboard along the z axis... has anyone created a fix for this? i looked into fixing it myself but i only screwed it up more :oops:
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Ummm....doesn't a billboard always face the camera? I am pretty sure that it does. Try it.

Post by Guest »

:P ... i know.. lol

I mean rotate it along the z axis
calimero

Post by calimero »

unfortunatly I have no answer but I'm interested in the problem.
Will irrlicht support rotating billboard in a next version ?
And what about axial billboard (not sure of the name) (example : to implement object with cylindrical symetry like some trees)
StuCollier

Post by StuCollier »

Do you mean to create DECALS ? OR do you want the "billboard" to rotate around the Z Axis ?
StuC
Freeware games
www.ovine.net
calimero

Post by calimero »

I put some code in the "opendiscussion" forum to implement "axial" billboard. please try it to see if it suits your needs.

for rotation along the Z axis you have to set the "orientation" vector to something like vector3df(0,0,length).