How to prevent meshes from stealing?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I've said it before and I'll say it again-
The best method to protect your models is copyright law. Just explicitly deny any redistruibution in your licensing terms.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Acki

Post by Acki »

bitplane wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again-
The best method to protect your models is copyright law. Just explicitly deny any redistruibution in your licensing terms.
this is not the question, I just want to have this code, regardless if this is usefull in your opinion or not... :roll:
I wonder why you're so strictly against this, maybe you're a burglar for your self ???? :twisted:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

If people in the community believe that they need to keep their meshes locked up so people can't copy them, then it means less meshes to test the engine with. It means I can't look at them, it offends me and is a violation of ideas that I hold dear - transparency, interoperability, open standards, trust, experimentation, exploration and innovation. I feel DRM is a crime against humanity, if I was in charge it would be illegal.

So whenever this topic rears its ugly head, I feel it is my duty to speak against it and convince others that the small gain is not worth the sacrifice.

Placing restrictions on art completely goes against the spirit of art, and it's an idea that is usually perpetuated by people who either don't understand or don't care about copyright law. Both of these things sadden and anger me, I want to educate or adjust their attitude, and if that doesn't work then there's always the option of a public necklacing. :twisted:
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Acki

Post by Acki »

confirms my thoughts about you... :roll:

seems noboby has the code though...
I just wondered how he did it, but it seem he loads the complete archive into memory first...
so it's anyway not what I wanted to know... :lol:

but if nevertheless someone has this code than post it or send me an email, please !!! :)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
peeves

Post by peeves »

Acki wrote:confirms my thoughts about you... :roll:

seems noboby has the code though...
I just wondered how he did it, but it seem he loads the complete archive into memory first...
so it's anyway not what I wanted to know... :lol:

but if nevertheless someone has this code than post it or send me an email, please !!! :)
His idea was in using simple XOR (RC4) methode, there is tonns of others, you can even make your own. Examples of code:

http://libdms.sourceforge.net/classdsCypher.html

The problem is, obviously, in need to load whole file into memory.

Other way - is to keep meshes in simple ZIP file, encoding each mesh separately. I'm working on it (as much as I can). :)

BTW: On the other hand, we can always find out current position in the file and make calculations, required for XOR-like algorithm for each further symbol. It's another way to read part of the file.