Publish my game? [Solved]

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
TnTonly

Publish my game? [Solved]

Post by TnTonly »

Well, I'm just a newbie and can't make any game yet. But something has been troubling me recently. Okay, if I make a game, how can I publish it so it can be runned in another computer?

I have checked this faq
http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.ph ... apter1-4-1
and it says
"Now paste the Irrlicht.dll in the helloworld folder and you have made a portable irrlicht folder. See the Irrlicht manual for information on connecting your project to these files"
And the problem is I still don't know how to "connect your project to these files" yet.

I have tried several ways but still unsuccessful :(

Anyone can help?
Last edited by TnTonly on Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenya

Post by greenya »

As far as I understand your question. The only thing you need is to get/write the source code. For example, you are using Irrlicht' HelloWorld Example source.

Now, all you need, is to:
1. compile source and get EXEcutable file.
2. place Irrlicht.dll at the same place where EXE-file is.
-- now you can copy on any other computer EXE-file + Irrlicht.dll and get working application.

Seems that is it.
Ion Dune

Post by Ion Dune »

Can you compile Hello World? The first example included in the SDK (tutorial 1 on this website, though it may be slightly out of date) outlines how to do this in Microsoft Visual Studio, and there are some other tutorials both in the tutorial section of the website and in the wiki showing how to use irrlicht in other compilers.

Once you are able to compile and run an irrlicht program, you simply need to send the .exe and the irrlicht .dll to someone for them to run your program.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it.
Danny Gilbert

Post by Danny Gilbert »

For sure, you need to know how to write SOFTWARE first.

You need to know that your software can need some other external "binary module" like DLL file where it can find external fonction or interface. So, to run a game which use the 3D Engine Irrlicht, you need to bring the irrlicht.dll binary file with your application (a game is a software).

You also need to know as I mentionned that Irrlicht is a 3D Engine library. In proper to make a game, you need many stuffs. You need sound engine, input/output engine, network engine (for online game), you need script engine, maybe a physic engine, a AI engine, and so on. And we don't talk about ART and SOUND. You will need to learn how to IMPORT other library in your project.

So let me suggest you to start creating a very small application that call an external function from other DLL file. Search on GOOGLE "calling and using DLL function". You can also check for example in Irrlicht. You have Visual Studio solution with some properties that said to use Irrlicht.dll file in the actual directory of execution.

:)
TnTonly

Post by TnTonly »

Thanks for all, but those don't help it. :(

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I have coded something with Irrlicht, compile it, and it runs smothly in my machine. But the problem is when I send it to a computer with no Visual Studio or Irrlicht ... installed. Just a normal computer.

I can compile and run well from HelloWorld and other examples, ofcourse, and I send my compiled file along with the irrlicht.dll and those include and lib file as the tutorial has said.

But still noone can run my compiled file. It always thrown some errors like "Configuration is incorrect" or something like that.

I'm using Visual C++ 2008 Express, and my friend do not have Visual Studio installed. Is this the problem?

Anyone can solve this for me? Thanks a lot.
huydotnet

Post by huydotnet »

Ok! First, you must compile your exe file in Release mode, not Debug mode. (i think you know this, else, nhắn tin cho em - Huy đây :D)
second, you don't need to include any cpp or header file in your release file. You only need the EXE, DLLs and some game data files.
and one more, if your friend can't run it again, he must install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en)
TnTonly

Post by TnTonly »

huydotnet wrote:Ok! First, you must compile your exe file in Release mode, not Debug mode. (i think you know this, else, nhắn tin cho em - Huy đây :D)
second, you don't need to include any cpp or header file in your release file. You only need the EXE, DLLs and some game data files.
and one more, if your friend can't run it again, he must install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en)
Well, problem solved. Thanks Huy đột nét a lot. So what I've been missing is the VC2008Redist :D

And, thanks alot everyone for helping me!