Shadows and EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
GrigoriosSokratis

Shadows and EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL

Post by GrigoriosSokratis »

Hi I'm trying to do some realistic street lines with EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL which blend perfectly and it looks great; however there's an issue; Irrlicht doesn't cast any shadows on EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL textured object.

Though, it does cast shadows on EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL_REF textured objects; I don't like the results since it doesn't blend with the rest of the asphalt as in the case of EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL; with the former it looks somewhat...sharp or cartoon like; while with the latter it's great but with no shadows :( .

So, I've tried looking for a myriad of solutions with no positive outcomes as for yet; (including shaders).

Do you know of any workaround to make this possible;

Any help appreciated; thank you in advance.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I suppose I could add support for EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL in my XEffects package if there is enough interest...
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Shadows are not drawn on transparent materials. The _REF material is not really transparent, because it doesn't blend with the background. Hence, it is handled in the solid pass, onto which shadows are drawn.
GrigoriosSokratis

Post by GrigoriosSokratis »

BlindSide wrote:I suppose I could add support for EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL in my XEffects package if there is enough interest...
Do you think it is possible to add a shader which could make that possible for opengl, if added would be great.