Loading meshes other than the ones in Hello World example

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
JP

Post by JP »

then i suggest you go to the DevC++ forum (i assume they have one) as it's a problem with DevC++, not Irrlicht, DevC++ just isn't recompiling your code for some reason.
Image Image Image
Ean

Post by Ean »

JP wrote:then i suggest you go to the DevC++ forum (i assume they have one) as it's a problem with DevC++, not Irrlicht, DevC++ just isn't recompiling your code for some reason.
No, it worked fine for the Allegro API...But I will try and test a different compiler as soon as I can.
Ean

Post by Ean »

I can't find a suitable compiler for Irrlicht. My PC can't use VC 2008 and I can't find a download for VC 2003!

EDIT: Found CodeBlocks.
Ean

Post by Ean »

It seems the problem is infact due to Dev C++...
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Maybe you didn't use the 4.9.9.2 release of Dev-C++ (the "5.0 beta" release)? Because the old "stable" version doesn't work. Anyway, just like Dev-C++, Code::Blocks is an IDE, not a compiler.
Gogolian

Post by Gogolian »

I've compiled it on DevC++.

Anyway i would recommend you Code::Blocks (I have also recently moved from Dev)
The "newest" dev version is form 2005 ;) while Code::Blocks is being updated almost every month.

But if you want to check if it is that, you may try changing the device:
from EDT_DIRECT3D9 to EDT_OPENGL or EDT_SOFTWARE.

I do not remember if it is that, i remember some problems occured while using dev but... well let's call it amnesia :? :?:
And the darkness begun...
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Ean wrote:I can't find a suitable compiler for Irrlicht. My PC can't use VC 2008 and I can't find a download for VC 2003!
Are you seriously saying that you can't Google VC 2008, follow the top Google hit then click on the Previous Version link?

I suspect your problem may be Root Cause 17 rather than your choice of IDE.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Ean

Post by Ean »

That link you posted contains the link to VC 2005. Apparently you have difficulty reading.

CodeBlocks works well.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, maybe you have difficulties in participating in a community? Anyway, the is no version of MSVC Express before the 2005 version. You have to buy the older versions.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Ean wrote:That link you posted contains the link to VC 2005. Apparently you have difficulty reading.
Sorry, I just assumed that you said 2003 out of ignorance.

VC 2005 Express works fine on Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000. If you're still using a Win95 derivative then prayer may be your only option. I'd suggest worshipping either Budda, or Alyson Hannigan.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Ean

Post by Ean »

rogerborg wrote:
Ean wrote:That link you posted contains the link to VC 2005. Apparently you have difficulty reading.
Sorry, I just assumed that you said 2003 out of ignorance.

VC 2005 Express works fine on Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000. If you're still using a Win95 derivative then prayer may be your only option. I'd suggest worshipping either Budda, or Alyson Hannigan.
So, there is no VC 2003? The wikipedia article must then be at fault. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C%2B%2B
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Apparently you have difficulty reading.
Read again what I said, especially the part about paying for versions prior to 2005 :idea:
Ean

Post by Ean »

Why aren't they free?
frostysnowman

Post by frostysnowman »

Anyone who has windows should choose VC++ Express over Code::Blocks or DevC++. VC++ 2008 is by far the best IDE for any programming language I've ever used. With intellisense, rarely do I have to look up functions/classes in the Irrlicht documentation. It has helped me learn the library immensely.

Ean, could you explain why you can't run VC++ 2008 or VC++ 2005 on your computer? It seems odd that you can't install either of them.

I think there is something you don't understand. There is not one version of Visual C++. There is Professional Edition, Standard Edition, and Express Edition. Express Edition is the only version that is free of charge. The reason why it's free is because it does not come with as many features and helpful libraries (like MFC, but it's pretty old isn't it). I'm guessing that the reason there is no Visual C++ 2003 Express Edition is because Microsoft hadn't been shipping the Express editions until 2005. The reason why Professional/Standard edition isn't free is because Microsoft wants to make money.
Ean

Post by Ean »

frostysnowman wrote:Anyone who has windows should choose VC++ Express over Code::Blocks or DevC++. VC++ 2008 is by far the best IDE for any programming language I've ever used. With intellisense, rarely do I have to look up functions/classes in the Irrlicht documentation. It has helped me learn the library immensely.

Ean, could you explain why you can't run VC++ 2008 or VC++ 2005 on your computer? It seems odd that you can't install either of them.

I think there is something you don't understand. There is not one version of Visual C++. There is Professional Edition, Standard Edition, and Express Edition. Express Edition is the only version that is free of charge. The reason why it's free is because it does not come with as many features and helpful libraries (like MFC, but it's pretty old isn't it). I'm guessing that the reason there is no Visual C++ 2003 Express Edition is because Microsoft hadn't been shipping the Express editions until 2005. The reason why Professional/Standard edition isn't free is because Microsoft wants to make money.
I see. The reason why is because I cannot install the .Net framework (except for 1.3.)