rpg/rts wip screens

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Zann

rpg/rts wip screens

Post by Zann »

I've been working with Irrlicht for around a month now. I'm still learnin a lot about the engine from these boards and I wanted to show some of what I've got going on.

Red line shows the path of an action that is currently being done, green is a "potential" action.

If anyone has played the, vastly underrated and now defunct, game Jagged Alliance that's the type of game I'm shooting for with this.

Lemme know what you think

Thanks,
-Zann
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

wow, this looks very nice.
I played JA myself, and it was one hell of a game.I hope you can get to the same level, cause now it looks awsome.
Good luck :D
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Yeah, JA was pure quality. Nice screenies there, that really gives me memories of what X-Com Genesis would have looked like, I don't know if you have seen it but that is pretty much exactly the kind of graphics that are on it. It is pleasing to me to see more and more people working on strategy games ( even if they aren't turn based ) more than FPS games.

Edit: Wasn't JA turn based? Are you scrapping that for RTS then as the title of the post says? Shame if you are, real time has ruined many great turn based titles.
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

It worked very fine for XCOM:Apocalypse though. 8)
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Actually Apoc was one of the games I was referring to, Apoc was a failure in my eyes ( although still a decent game ). I am also aware it was rushed but I think that it didn't work well at all. UFO Aftermath was another example of a turn based game ruined by real time. In fact, the only real time version of a turn based game I like is Laser Squad Nemesis, for that to even work it took a mixture of the two.
Zann

re:

Post by Zann »

Yeah, JA was turn based and that's how I'm planning to do things. Real time until conflict occurs then switching to turn based. I guess I should have just said strategy rather than RTS.

The thing that made JA so great though was the atmosphere. Not just the good combat system but the unique personalities of all the characters. Their phobias, likes, and dislikes. The characterization and feel of the humor in it was what made the game for me.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

That's good to hear ( sorry to hijack your thread :) ). I agree, the merc's were really done well, better than X-Com by far in that way ( that's because most of the soldiers in X-Com were cannon fodder until later in the game ). Looks very good anyway, you do all the modelling yourself?
Zann

Post by Zann »

I did the city in gtk, past that I've got a decent size collection of "free for non-commercial" models. I wouldn't mind doing my own if I didn't suck at it so badly hehe.

-Zann