Integrating shaders into a pipeline

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Slaine

Post by Slaine »

dlangdev wrote:Hi Slaine,

Good luck on Ogre, hope you get what you're looking for. I wish I had the time to play with Ogre.

I'm still doing research about shader-material binding on Irrlicht. I think a visor (that's what they call it in Maya) is needed so that I can pull-up the shader and attach it to an attribute. The thing is, the Irrlicht object model has no attributes. Big problem right there.

Once I get a good view of how it fits nicely it will eventually come together. I need more time to know the finer details.
Yeah dunno though, it looks harder than Irrlicht, I wasn't really thinking of moving over just to see if anyone has done something similar. I'm not sure about a visor, I just thought you could call the material a certain name, the program reads the info and creates the correct shader?
impulse3d

Post by impulse3d »

I managed to get shaders to load straight from Max/Maya to Irrlicht via the .x file.

What I did was modify the X file loader to recognize the EffectInstance template, and then extract the shader's name. Then I stick that in a custom SMaterial attribute that I added, and after loading the mesh, mine out all of this shader data and compile them using Irrlicht, passing in whatever function pointers I want. Sure, it's a hack, but it works for what I need it for (and it sure does beat no shader support from .x files).

If you want code or more details, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Noah
Last edited by impulse3d on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

i'm still figuring how to use shaders. *blur* :?: