Animated Particles ?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Toadcop

Animated Particles ?

Post by Toadcop »

I mean it's possible (is there a simple way) to "animate" a texture on a particle emiter ? or do i need to recode the particle system for such needs ? i need such feature cause for example Fire\Dust etc. particles looks much better than the particles dynamicaly changes textures.

btw is there some GOOD Irrlicht tutors (which does explains the mechanics of irrlicht or something similar) to jump in ? (cause i don't really understand how some things does work).
JP

Post by JP »

If you don't understand how something works then feel free to just post a question about it, if you've got lots of questions just lump them all into one post and plenty of people will try their hand at explaining it to you :)

I don't think you can animate the particles as standard with irrlicht... there's no way to actually apply the texture animator to the particles i don't think.

But you probably don't have to completely recode the entire particle system, i imagine you could just write a new Particle Affector. Presumably these get passed the actual particle and then you can change the particle's texture that way, although the particle system may have a global material instead of a material per particle i guess... in which case you'd have to make that change i suppose...
Image Image Image
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

From my exploits into the particle system code, it would require a change to several areas to get this to work.

Unless you didn't care if all the particles animated exactly the same way, then that should be relatively easy.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
Toadcop

Post by Toadcop »

well i allready thought so =) tnx for explanations. i think i will stick with that method "frame matrix" (or what ever).

//imo such feature is need badly in Irrlicht =) cause now the particle system is very very basic.

wow it does include a project file for Dev-Cpp awesome.

i really love Irllicht for awesome source =)