Choria - 2D MMORPG

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Jacky_J

Choria - 2D MMORPG

Post by Jacky_J »

From the creator of irrlamb brings you... Choria. Finally, a game that's all about grinding and doing repetitive chores.

http://code.google.com/p/choria/

Enjoy.
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

Hmm installed and worked under wine like a charm :) the graphics are a little meh. Maybe get some 2d sprites using sprite sheetS?

Other then that you cant really complain about a completed project, Is there a server to play on?

Good Job btw :) how many lines of code was it?
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
Jacky_J

Post by Jacky_J »

May i ask why you had to install it under wine? If you can supply better graphics, i will gladly accept them. I'm not an artist, though I want all the art to be original.

The focus of the game, however, is not the graphics. The focus of the game is grinding and leveling, just like classic Dragon Warrior on the NES. Lines of code is roughly 13k. I don't have a server yet. I could probably just set one up on a computer i have here though.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

That's a really slick implementation of a 20 year old concept, by which I mean I hate it just as much as I hated Ultima the first time round. :P
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

To install under wine all i had to do was. Wine pathtoexe.exe it did the rest :)
Good job.
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Nice game! I like the look and feel, the Menus/GUI is great, the slots are really cool too. 1 thing though, I think the random battles should happen a *bit* less frequently as usually I took like 3-5 steps and another battle came along. But overall excellent game! :mrgreen:
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

wildrj wrote:To install under wine all i had to do was. Wine pathtoexe.exe it did the rest :)
Good job.
Please notice the distinction between "how did you use wine?" and "why did you use wine when I provided linux binaries and source?".

Nice game though, I'm not a fan of the graphics or the "move one tile at a time" movement style. But I do think the menus and character management slot stuff are really great. I might even end up using this as a basis for the menus and profile management framework if I decide to do a similar project.

Cheers
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

O my bad.. It was late and i didnt feel like looking around on a site i saw download and .exe :/ I didn't have to use wine so don't worry :)
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Cool game, thanks for the linux binaries! :)

Is there any server to test the multiplayer part? And what is a good strategy to play the game, i just tested it, but always die because of small bugs and birds. :lol:
gogo

Post by gogo »

This works rather slowly despite of irrlicht and 2D. Kids can make, too.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

gogo wrote:This works rather slowly despite of irrlicht and 2D. Kids can make, too.
are you sure? :roll:
Jacky_J

Post by Jacky_J »

I wish i knew where to begin with a public server. I figure i can find one for a couple bucks a month. If anyone has any tips let me know.

A good strategy for starting is to put points into heal, max mana, and mana regen.

The game is primitive by choice. Tile based movement/graphics, random battles, turn based combat... It's all about going back to basics. No need for storyline or quests, just pure grinding. That's how grandpa did it back in the day.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Jacky_J wrote:I wish i knew where to begin with a public server. I figure i can find one for a couple bucks a month. If anyone has any tips let me know.
Offcourse, I tried out VPSLink and it was pretty painless to get going. I think its about 7 bucks US a month for one of their virtual private servers. I recommend choosing the Xen variety incase you run out of memory, as it allows swap space which OpenVZ doesn't (At the expense of higher kernel overhead.).

Cheers

EDIT: Oh yeah, watch out for their tricky billing system, it charges you in advance for the next month unless you specifically opt-out.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

BlindSide wrote:I recommend choosing the Xen variety incase you run out of memory, as it allows swap space which OpenVZ doesn't (At the expense of higher kernel overhead.).
I'll once again advocate using fixed pre-allocation for servers. Limit your functionality to your RAM budget. You don't want to be paging, ever.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i'll give VPS a try, it looks like their service matches the low-server requirement for my garage-type graphics programs. Not sure if they'll allow me to install programs like enet, raknet and other custom-install applications at that price point, it sounds like a shared webhosting deal, except it's a VPS. can you confirm that to me before I make any stupid mistakes.