Linux C++ IDE??

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
Mazer

Linux C++ IDE??

Post by Mazer »

Anybody know of a good one? Please don't suggest KDevelop because, even though it came with my distro, I've somehow developed a hatred for KDE :P . I've also tried anjuta but couldn't get it to work. Anything? Worst case scenario I guess I'll just write the whole program in Dev-Cpp on my winxp (interestingly enough, it's only free for windows, not linux...) and then compile the code on Linux.
Hoff

Re: Linux C++ IDE??

Post by Hoff »

Mazer wrote:Anybody know of a good one? Please don't suggest KDevelop because, even though it came with my distro, I've somehow developed a hatred for KDE :P . I've also tried anjuta but couldn't get it to work. Anything? Worst case scenario I guess I'll just write the whole program in Dev-Cpp on my winxp (interestingly enough, it's only free for windows, not linux...) and then compile the code on Linux.
Learn Emacs -- it'll suck for awhile, then it'll be great. And there might even be Dev-Cpp for Linux -- have you looked?

-- John
geistes

Post by geistes »

You might also try Eclipse with CDT

http://www.eclipse.org

http://www.eclipse.org/cdt
Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Hoff wrote:
Mazer wrote:And there might even be Dev-Cpp for Linux -- have you looked?
Yes, I like Dev-Cpp so I already looked into that, but it seems you can only get the Linux version if you buy the CD from Bloodshed. It's weird to see something free for Windows and not for Linux.
Anyways, what are some of the advantages of Emacs? I've seen it before, it looks like an old DOS based program. Does it get easy to use?
geistes wrote:You might also try Eclipse with CDT

http://www.eclipse.org

http://www.eclipse.org/cdt
Heh. That's another one that I tried but couldn't get working.
l0calh05t

Post by l0calh05t »

Mazer wrote:
Hoff wrote:
Mazer wrote:And there might even be Dev-Cpp for Linux -- have you looked?
Yes, I like Dev-Cpp so I already looked into that, but it seems you can only get the Linux version if you buy the CD from Bloodshed. It's weird to see something free for Windows and not for Linux.
[...]
Have you checked sourceforge?

Look at the bottom of this page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=10639
Raw data for raw nerves

My main PC: Athlon XP 2800+, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB, Win2k SP4
My secondary PC: Pentium III 500 Mhz, 256MB RAM, TNT2 64, Gentoo Linux
Ceacy

Post by Ceacy »

There is MinGW Developer [..] too :
http://www.parinya.ca/
Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Thank you so much for that link l0calh05t, I can't believe I never checked sourceforge. **smacks forehead**
l0calh05t

Post by l0calh05t »

Mazer wrote:Thank you so much for that link l0calh05t, I can't believe I never checked sourceforge. **smacks forehead**
no problem, i just hope i can find a gentoo ebuild...
Raw data for raw nerves

Post by Guest »

Mazer wrote: Anyways, what are some of the advantages of Emacs? I've seen it before, it looks like an old DOS based program. Does it get easy to use?
you can customize your emacs how you like. thats the advantage. starting is quite hard, but it the best.
xhrit

Post by xhrit »

I don't think you need to be in kde to run kdevelop. I run konquerer and kmail in blackbox WM... heh. If I wasnt so lazy, i'd drop to the prompt and see, but I think i will leave that for you to find out. There was a period that i disliked KDE, but K apps are more useful then the X apps that come up in the default blackbox menus. K apps run better under blackbox.

:)
Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz - 2048mb DDR2 800 - geForce 9600 - Slackware12.1

Word-image-symbol programming limits, controls, and imprisons the individual.
Smash the control images, smash the control machine.
l0calh05t

Post by l0calh05t »

xhrit wrote:I don't think you need to be in kde to run kdevelop. I run konquerer and kmail in blackbox WM... heh. If I wasnt so lazy, i'd drop to the prompt and see, but I think i will leave that for you to find out. There was a period that i disliked KDE, but K apps are more useful then the X apps that come up in the default blackbox menus. K apps run better under blackbox.

:)
yep, and they run on fluxbox and just about any other wm. you just need qt. (Although compiling Qt took AGES on my computer)
Raw data for raw nerves

xhrit

Post by xhrit »

hmm, i think slack come w/ qt already compiled, b/c i dont remember that part. :)
Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz - 2048mb DDR2 800 - geForce 9600 - Slackware12.1

Word-image-symbol programming limits, controls, and imprisons the individual.
Smash the control images, smash the control machine.
l0calh05t

Post by l0calh05t »

xhrit wrote:hmm, i think slack come w/ qt already compiled, b/c i dont remember that part. :)
most distributions do, but i use gentoo
Raw data for raw nerves

guy

Post by guy »

check out anjuta its probably the best ide out there.
Hhhhh

Post by Hhhhh »

You might want to try Eclipse with CDT. It can manage your makefiles, there are wizards to help you set up the command line arguments the same way than M$ Visual Studio .NET and also it makes only about 5 files per project (as opposed to anjuta and kdevelop that make about 50)