Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

hybrid wrote:But the gate is half-transparent. I don't think that TRANSPARENT_ADD is a valid choice here...
Sorry, that was my supposed to be stained glass effect test.

I'll have to fix that one because I used the gate as a test.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

dlangdev wrote:
IrrWHAT?! wrote:dlangdev, you really are quite an artist. You make simple lightmaps and low-poly models look so awsome.

I'm a big fan of lightmaps, but have never had the opportunity to experiment with them.

Artwork like that, combined with shaders; the potential boggles the mind. :D
Thanks.

Though I'm _not_ really what you can call an 'artiste' as these images posted above are the result of many hours of trial-n-error. You probably haven't seen the hideous one yet.

So yeah, post some of your creations, especially the ones with lightmaps coz I'm sure we'll enjoy them here.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

These images show parallax mapping for some materials.

sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

dlangdev wrote:These images show parallax mapping for some materials
I don't seem to be able to make them out.

But anyway, are you finding the nearest, say, three lights for each parallax surface? How are you using lights?

You can see now where rogerborg's LightManager comes in. My next demo has a Doom3 MD5 animated model (with bump mapping) in a Quake3 level - some form of light management will be needed to light the dynamic (MD5) objects...
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ah yes, materials with limited light support. That's another place where light managers are needed...
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

sio2 wrote:
I don't seem to be able to make them out.
True, they're normal maps generated by Nvidia tools. I'm still setting-up the tool for handling heightmaps. That will come much much later.
sio2 wrote: But anyway, are you finding the nearest, say, three lights for each parallax surface? How are you using lights?
Nope, I'm not at that level. I have yet to rig the next round of testing targeting that spec. Though I'm looking forward to dealing with lights that go over 20 or even close to 50.
sio2 wrote: You can see now where rogerborg's LightManager comes in. My next demo has a Doom3 MD5 animated model (with bump mapping) in a Quake3 level - some form of light management will be needed to light the dynamic (MD5) objects...
Definitely, just show us the screenshot when it's ready. I'll be waiting here. I'm sure it's going to look awesome.

I can see the importance of the Lightmanager. It should become part of the basecode, as I'm looking forward to using it.
Last edited by dlangdev on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Here's a newer version with heightmap applied to the floor. The walls are bumpmaps.

I made the heightmap in Photoshop using very simple shading techniques.

I can't believe what I'm seeing here, it feels a bit different, something like: whoa! this is awesome, dude!

So, yeah. More lights and deferred shading stuff will make it a lot better.

Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

don't know why, the first screenshot looks rather flat to me. second and third WOWed me! good job there!
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Thanks much, really appreciate it.

Here's another screenshot, with stencil shadows enabled. I had to use one light here to make it work.

I'm almost at the edge of making a real game out of these collection of techniques, though. I might give it a spin and see how that goes.

pc0de

Post by pc0de »

dlangdev - Just a quick note to let you know I've been enjoying the progression of your screenshots.

Keep up the good work.
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Yes, very nice dlangdev. What is your game about?

Here's a little update on my project

-Eigen
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Nice screenshots Eigen! Did you make the models?
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Hi Eigen,

The images are part of a test program which should allow me to learn stuff in-detail.

Anyway, I'm hoping to set up a compelling story that matches with what is available. I guess getting the right balance between technology and storytelling.

pcode: Thanks, you should post your screenshots as well.
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Virion, weapons and most of the vehicles are not mine. I'm hoping to write most of the base code ready using whichever assets I can. Then look for someone to help with the art and write actual game on top of this. So this is just temporary.
JP

Post by JP »

Looks very nice indeed Eigen, i shall look forward to a playable version or some video footage!

I think your approach of coding with whatever assets you can find is a good idea and at least you've got some decent assets there anyway. The only suggestion i'd make is that the sniper rifle in particular needs some work to make it look right... even if it's just a hand holding it as it looks a bit strange without! But that's not necessary during the coding stages particularly, so good luck!
Image Image Image