How can I attach a mesh onto a skeleton?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
comicsteam

How can I attach a mesh onto a skeleton?

Post by comicsteam »

I am new and have studied this engine for several weeks.
I have planned to make a game which allows players to customize their own characters, so that characters may have different hair styles, clothes, or even torso...

I have read through all those tutorials, and i know that the engine supports skeletal animation.
but the problem is it didn't mention about how to attach a mesh onto a skeleton.

So my question is:
Is it possible to save meshes and skeletons into seperate files,
and then attach a mesh onto a skeleton at runtime?
I am not meaning to attach an object onto a joint point, like a weapon holding on a hand.
What I mean is to apply the mesh as a "skin" for the skeleton, so that the "skin" will be deformed according to the skeletal animation.

To be more specific, the following picture is the result I want:
Image Image

Hope somebody could help.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Luke can help you here, he wrote the Irrlicht B3D parser/animator.

Try sending him a PM or email.

He's the man.
comicsteam

Post by comicsteam »

dlangdev wrote:Luke can help you here, he wrote the Irrlicht B3D parser/animator.

Try sending him a PM or email.

He's the man.
I have sent a PM to him. Thanks for your suggestion.
fmx

Post by fmx »

that's some nice art comicsteam! ;)

I don't think its possible to save skeleton and mesh (skin) data in seperate files, BUT you can still do it in Irrlicht

As long as the Skeleton data doesn't change, you could export out your Character (mesh + skin) data in one file, then in another file export out ONLY the Animated skeleton (no mesh), and finally in Irrlicht import both files and just apply the animation data to the Character

you could easily then use ANY Character (mesh + skin data) with the animation-data, as long as the Skeleton is the same (same joint names and heirarchy)

best of luck actually getting a workable export-import pipeline though :)
torleif

Post by torleif »

Great art comicsteam

I'd like to see a tutorial on how to add bones to a mesh, I've wondered but fortunately never been in a position where I need to actually to it
JP

Post by JP »

You add bones to a mesh in a modelling program, not irrlicht, i don't think there's any way to do it in irrlicht.
Image Image Image
comicsteam

Post by comicsteam »

Thanks for all your help.
I will try it and show my product asap :)
tenglang

Re: How can I attach a mesh onto a skeleton?

Post by tenglang »

comicsteam wrote:I am new and have studied this engine for several weeks.
I have planned to make a game which allows players to customize their own characters, so that characters may have different hair styles, clothes, or even torso...

I have read through all those tutorials, and i know that the engine supports skeletal animation.
but the problem is it didn't mention about how to attach a mesh onto a skeleton.

So my question is:
Is it possible to save meshes and skeletons into seperate files,
and then attach a mesh onto a skeleton at runtime?
I am not meaning to attach an object onto a joint point, like a weapon holding on a hand.
What I mean is to apply the mesh as a "skin" for the skeleton, so that the "skin" will be deformed according to the skeletal animation.

To be more specific, the following picture is the result I want:
Image Image

Hope somebody could help.
i think know!