Irrlicht And PS2 Joysticks / PS2 Dev with Irrlicht

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Flossy

Irrlicht And PS2 Joysticks / PS2 Dev with Irrlicht

Post by Flossy »

Hello Irrlicht forum. My name is Rob I'm new to the forums. I've been a C++ Programmer for over 4 years and I decided to get into game dev. I do have prior game dev experience but all of it is 2D. I'm new to 3D game programing, and its a bit complicated. Well, On to the questions

I'm currently looking though all of the free open source Game Engines Trying to get a feel of what one offers what and Irrlicht seems to be one of the best ones if there is a better engine suited for my needs, would you please mind telling me.

Is it possible to get joystick control using current Irrlicht SVN ?
If so point me to a Tut. ? or basic joystick function code snippet ?

Is it possible to get irrlicht engine working on PS2 ?
Anyone even try this out yet ?

Is it possible to get irrlicht engine working on a PSP ?
Anyone even try this out yet ?

Game useage - C++ and OpenGL Irrlicht with Newton Physics And IrrKlang Sound
sudi

Post by sudi »

Is it possible to get joystick control using current Irrlicht SVN ?
If so point me to a Tut. ? or basic joystick function code snippet ?
its a graphics engine and just has some basic keyinput feature....
try some input devices like sdl or smething like that.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

There have been several postings about joystick support on the forum. The engine doesn't offer joystick support natively, though.
Irrlicht runs on several embedded and mobile systems, such as iPhone, Windows CE, and set-top boxes. Commercial consoles require the devs to either pay lots of money to become an official developer or to develop hardly legal home-brew software. That's why this kind of development has less priority. An Irrlicht Wii port is currently being developed though, and a port for the PS2 had been developed as well, but failed to adhere to the Irrlicht license and is hence problematic for several reasons...
Anyway, most things are possible :D
asphodeli

Re: Irrlicht And PS2 Joysticks / PS2 Dev with Irrlicht

Post by asphodeli »

Currently, there is no irrlicht port to the PSP, unless you want to use the LTE engine, which itself is a whole mess of problems (licensing), and as well as technical issues which needs to be resolved.

PS: Just to side-track a bit, if someone takes the LTE engine and combines it with irrlicht ogl-es branch, can it be issued a new licence?
Last edited by asphodeli on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP

Post by JP »

There is a PSP version of the Irrlicht engine too isn't there? Lightfeather or something? I think it's just an edited version of an old release of Irrlicht so isn't updated to the current Irrlicht standard but it works (probably have to install the cracked firmware to the PSP though of course!)

And that goes for any consoles you want to develop on, they need to be cracked. The PS2 would need to be cracked, possibly by messing around with the hardware inside the console (not sure about that). The Wii has a few ways of hacking it, there was one which used the Twilight Princess disc to open up homebrew but that crack has since been patched in the Wii firmware so won't work now. Another option i saw was a special gamecube style memory card which will force the Wii into Recovery mode which then allows any code to be run on it without restrictions.

So basically homebrew on consoles doesn't come without the risk of absolutely bricking your console beyond use :lol:

Oh and however cool it might feel to dev on a console you're probably better off sticking with PC development as then more people can play your games as i'd say most people, including myself, would be too scared to crack their console for homebrew.
Image Image Image
asphodeli

Post by asphodeli »

JP wrote:There is a PSP version of the Irrlicht engine too isn't there? Lightfeather or something? I think it's just an edited version of an old release of Irrlicht so isn't updated to the current Irrlicht standard but it works (probably have to install the cracked firmware to the PSP though of course!)

And that goes for any consoles you want to develop on, they need to be cracked. The PS2 would need to be cracked, possibly by messing around with the hardware inside the console (not sure about that). The Wii has a few ways of hacking it, there was one which used the Twilight Princess disc to open up homebrew but that crack has since been patched in the Wii firmware so won't work now. Another option i saw was a special gamecube style memory card which will force the Wii into Recovery mode which then allows any code to be run on it without restrictions.

So basically homebrew on consoles doesn't come without the risk of absolutely bricking your console beyond use :lol:

Oh and however cool it might feel to dev on a console you're probably better off sticking with PC development as then more people can play your games as i'd say most people, including myself, would be too scared to crack their console for homebrew.
I'd be more afraid to "crack" a PS2 or Wii than a PSP. 8)
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

i used plib for joystick and its easy to use: http://plib.sourceforge.net/js/index.html
Flossy

Post by Flossy »

All the ps2 would require to run home games would be the PS2 Independence Exploit.

As for the psp its pretty much impossible to "brick" it playing home brew games, same with the ps2 all systems have there own "backup" data that can restore it self to the original factory settings you just have to know how.

Thanks for all the information this has helped me out quite a bit.
speewave

Post by speewave »

First off... Welcome to 3D Programming... Learn about Floating Point Variables, They make up 95% of 3D Programming! as well as X\Y\Z Axis,

PS2 Dev... well not so familiar with it.. however, Mixing with Crossplatform Library SDL, you can get a better Input Method!..

Irrlicht's PSP Port is crappy, it almost runs as software rendering at its speed.. I'd wait for some optimizations..
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

For the joystick input issue there is an integration of OIS on the wiki:

http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.ph ... thIrrlicht
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames