What now?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Arya

What now?

Post by Arya »

Hello folks,

After reading the Irrlicht tutorials embedded into the irrlicht 1.4.1 file, I am still quite confused about where to go now, as I don't think it was enough info to really make a full-game. Anyone have any ideas where to go to now? I tried some other tutorials, but it didn't really seem to work out for me. Anyone have any source codes they can point out for me?

Thanks,
Arya
Arya

Post by Arya »

Also, I plan on making a series of FPS games based on turning point wars, such as the Spanish Civil War and the Vietnam, particulary single-player games based heavily on storyline. How long would it take to program a decent AI for the games? What math do I need to know to do it? Is there any AI engines you guys can recommend that can do the dirty work for me? Thanks. :D

Arya
The Onslaught

Post by The Onslaught »

There's a ton of info in the Wiki.

There's a basic manual on Irrlicht, it teachs you how to use camera, event handling and much more

And as I said before, there's a lot more of info in the wiki.

Happy learning!!
After reading this sentence you will realize you have wasted 5 seconds of your life
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

From the FAQ: Irrlicht is not a game engine. It is a flexible 3D engine, suitable for use within a game engine.

I suggest that the best way to achieve your requirements is to write a mod for an existing FPS engine.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah if the tutorials aren't enough to make a full game then fill in the space... Either get some source from the projects forum of someone else's game and have a fiddle and examine it to learn, or just make some simple games to learn more of how irrlicht works in a game sense.... pong? connect 4? tetris? and so on.

If you need help with AI then you can checkout my IrrAI project which is aiming to provide AI for a wide range of genres (eventually) but is currently focused on FPS AI as that's the main project it's being developed for.
Image Image Image
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

if you plan fps, why not use quake 3 engine directly? or maybe ioquake
gogo

Post by gogo »

What you say is right. Those are not enough to make games.
Begin with easy works --animations of animals or cars. While doing various experiments, you might get knowledge of irrlicht.
Then you can go to harder works --simple 3D games(never FPS).
skumar

Post by skumar »

try irrwizard.....you will get some...a lot of idea about game programming.....
skumar