Audio Library

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
GameDude

Audio Library

Post by GameDude »

Is there a good free audio library that has 2D and 3D sound support and allows you to use in a commerical product without any restrictions. I know IrrKlang has those, but you have to pay a fee to use it in a commerical prdouct, so I was wondering if there was any free library avaiable, I know of audiere, but its mostly 2D
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Well I recommend just using OpenAL directly, or OpenAL++. There is also CAudio, which can be found on this forum, and has bindings to Irrlicht I believe.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
The Onslaught

Post by The Onslaught »

I use audiere, its easy to use and very helpful
After reading this sentence you will realize you have wasted 5 seconds of your life
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Audiere has extant crash bugs on Windows (yes, yes, it works for you). CAudio is just a wrapper over OpenAL.

IrrKlang has the best combination of ease of use and stability that I've come across. If you're concerned about the cost, then you're valuing your time pretty cheaply. Since you don't have to pay until and unless you go commercial, you're also not showing a lot of confidence in your product.

Is all I'm saying.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
jam

Post by jam »

rogerborg wrote:Audiere has extant crash bugs on Windows
Merely out of curiosity what crash bugs are you talking about, any specific examples?
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown
torleif

Post by torleif »

I use SDL_mixer. It's simple and has all the features you need, even though it's written in C (but well written)
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

jam wrote:
rogerborg wrote:Audiere has extant crash bugs on Windows
Merely out of curiosity what crash bugs are you talking about, any specific examples?
This one, which was still extant last time I tried Audiere about 9 months ago. I had a quick look into it, but the cause wasn't immediately obvious, and I didn't feel much inclined to pour time down that hole since the Audiere devs are apparently so disinterested in the Windows version.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

I still Audiere to be the best option for now, until another good free open source audio library comes along. Maybe I should start work on my own?