Miku Project [completed]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
B@z

Miku Project [completed]

Post by B@z »

Hi all!

This game is a LITTLE GAME, like sharewares or something. It isn't supposed to save the world or something :D

Hatsune Miku( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsune_Miku#Hatsune_Miku ) one day wakes up in a floor of a factory, and doesn't remember what happend to her.
She decides to discover what happaned to the city, why are there robots.
Everything was the evil tinkers work! xD

That's all, have fun :D

Oh and please tell me if you found some bugs

http://dotdotdot.extra.hu/FTP/Miku%20Project.zip

screenshot:
http://dotdotdot.extra.hu/miku_screensh ... nshot2.jpg

Updates:
- added hit effect (maybe will change later)
- added lighting for maps and for monsters and player
- changed behavior of camera
- fixed camera bug (stucking)
- attack speed fastened
- if the current desktop resolution is 1024x768 then change to full screen

Todo:
- maybe make shadows under characters?
- "The movement is totally weird, the animation doesn't suit the movement, the animation needs to be way faster, and the movement needs to be slower, it looks very wrong right now. " still dunt understand.. :roll:
- waiting for more complains :P

updated version can be downloaded from here (just updated files, you have to put it into the game's map)
http://dotdotdot.extra.hu/FTP/Miku%20Pr ... hanges.zip

uploading the full game too, but it will take some time. but the link is same (http://dotdotdot.extra.hu/FTP/Miku%20Project.zip)

New update:
its a little update, fixed some little bugs, the bug of the boss, and added a feature that waits for enter when changing the map.
can download from here

http://dotdotdot.extra.hu/FTP/MP_changes_2.zip

the original zip has been updated too

Finished
can be download from here:
http://dotdotdot.extra.hu/FTP/Miku%20Pr ... 0Setup.exe
Last edited by B@z on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

HAHA this is the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

Gameover screen:
"Would you please not to kill me next time? Apologyse!!!" XD

Ok general gripes:

1. Copyright, this seems to be owned by Yamaha corporation or something, is it alright to use their artwork etc?

2. The movement is totally weird, the animation doesn't suit the movement, the animation needs to be way faster, and the movement needs to be slower, it looks very wrong right now.

3. No particles or "hitting effects". It's impossible to know if you hit something aside from the fact that the health bar is going down. Release some particles upon inpact or something, its not asking for much.

4. LIGHTING. LIGHTING. LIGHTING!!!

5. The hit animations are way too slow also, she needs to animate faster when hitting.

6. The target is always locked and this is annoying, make it possible to have no target so you can run around.

7. LIGHTING!

Ok that's about all for now, I'll complain more when you've fixed those.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
B@z

Post by B@z »

1) I heard that they enabled to make games with Miku if it doesn't harm Miku's image.

2) movement speed is need to be slower...? really?

3) yeah but... i can't imagine what kind of particle will be good. can you help me? just suggest something :D

4) heh? xD too dark?

5) yeah that's my problem too >< but thanks to this poop milkshape, i can't modify it, unless i remake the full animation. but i will try to do something (actually, change animation speed in irrlicht)

6) yeah it's a waypoint system, always targeting the waypoints. maybe this is annoying, but this is the concept of the game, so i can't modify it. sorry, next game will be better xD
but i will try to do something with camera, not to stuck :D

7) heh? :D

thank you for trying the game, and for helping me!
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, B@z!

I want to congratulate you! You made a nice game with NPC and basic AI and it's playable. I was able to complete the game

Here are my current impressions:

Gameplay Issues:
The locking mecanism is good for battles, but really make it difficult to use when you need to navigate. You seem to remove control from the player when he want only to navigate thru the level. For a battle against NPC, this is really good. You could perhaps do a "battle mode" to switch to the current control (locking on a NPC, then arrow the strafe around him) and a "navigation mode" to will make the arrow rotate the player and camera and not lock to the NPC. This could be put on a toggle button. I assume you want to do this so it's easily ported to a joypad control.

Sometimes the camera get behind a wall and we can't see the player, perhaps do a ray collision test to see if we can see the player. I was on the level 1 floor and the player was on the level 2 floor. It was impossible to see further until after some movements, the camera was on the same floor as the player. I know it's a difficult problem to solve due of the 3rth person view.

Animation specific issues:
The attack movement seem slower than it should be. Perhaps increase the framerate when the player is doing it's attack move. It seem sluggish. This can improve the feel of the attack. All the attack move seem to suffer from this.

Movements on the ground doesnt seem to be syncronised. We feel a little like Micheal Jackson "moonwalking" on the floor when we move. Some little tweaks on the move distance could resolve this. (or perhaps accelerate the movement of the player to "match" with the ground.)

Lighting recommendations:
I would recommend that you "lightmap" your level to improve the look and feel of it. There is no shadowing and it feel "flat". You could use IRRedit or a third party tool to create the lightmaps like "Gile[s]".

You could create a shadow under your character and NPC. Irrlicht can have stencil shadows or you could use a technique to create a fake shadow under your characters. This will improve the realism and depth of the look.

You could also perhaps Lightmap your character using a technique like "ambient occlusion". This will put some basic shadowing on the character (this is not dynamic). Again, this will make your characters look less "flat".

Sound recommendation:

Would be nice to have a sound when:
- Attacked and being hit
- Hitting an enemy
- Walking
- using a "technique" (like the fireball)
- Falling on the ground
- Opening doors
- Ennemies dying and being destroyed

The music is very nice.
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

I really enjoyed this game. It was fun to play, and I liked the music too. kawaii :D
I agree with the suggestions posted above.

However, I can't beat the 2 end bosses.
B@z

Post by B@z »

Hi!
thank you for trying the game!

andrei25ni: it's easy. just go for your clone (the gray haired Miku), if you just hit her, the boss can't hit you (coz youre always moving).
if you defeat miku, it's easy to defeat the boss.
and remember to use the 3rd skill ;) (W)

christianclavet:
there are too many ppl saying the same thing, so maybe i'll do something :D
the camera issue with the wall is quiet hard, but i admire, that i can't leave as it is.

i've fasten the attack speed, it should be ok now. maybe xD

about the movement... i didn't realize this.. should be the movement faster? the animation slower? faster? how? :D

about lighting... i admire as a man: i don't know anything about lighting xD i guess i should read some tutorials, or examples. :D

about sound... sorry, i won't do that. actually, i made a nice system, it worked cool, i was proud of it, but...
couldn't get enough sound materials.. i was searching all day long free music sites, but i didn't find sound what i need, or maybe i dont know what i need.
so just dropped it out xD
if i get enough sound materials, i will do it, but i think it wont happen. sorry

thanks for your suggestions, was a great help!
fmx

Post by fmx »

Miku comes to Irrlicht!
Being a bit of a Miku-fanboi these days, I have to say that you haven't done her "image" enough justice...

the problem is with the gameplay
(the menu interface, artwork and everything is fine, maybe set it to fullscreen and make it match the desktop-resolution? )

I agree with everything posted above, especially the problems with Controls/Navigation and Lighting.

She doesn't move properly, her animations don't match her stepping, so you probably need to adjust the speed to make it look like she is actually walking ON the floor.

Lighting you definitly need, everything looks horribly flat right now. Just add a single infinite light somewhere.

its a good start though, I'm sure you'll improve it in later releases! :)
(you better do, its Miku's reputation at stake here)
:P
B@z

Post by B@z »

hi!

haha ok xD

make it full screen... well i'm using laptop so if i make full screen it would be awful xD
maybe later

i've made some changes with the control, i will upload soon when could do something with lighting.

again that.... to tell the truth, i can't see it..
we were watching 5 minutes long as she just walking around, and just couldn't see is it wrong...
we tried to make her move faster with the same animation... then it looked that she is just sliding.
make slower made everything worse.. xD
B@z

Post by B@z »

updated, check the first post.

the full game is still being uploaded, so if you can't download, then wait a while :D
fmx

Post by fmx »

just tried it, its a lot better now!
Easier to move her around and see where she's going, and lighting helps give a better aproximation of the environment.

I like the billboard effects when damaging the robot-things, helps with the style.

A suggestion: maybe change the colour of the healthbar of the robot-things to make it easier to tell which bit is their health, and which is the back-bit?
ie, right now its green on blue (or vice-versa?) so its hard to tell, so maybe make the back-bit grey or red...

but great progress, keep up the good work!

:D
B@z

Post by B@z »

thank you!

everybody thinks that? coz to tell the truth i dont wanna change. this two colors are miku's color, and i like it the way it is..
but if a lot of ppl wanna make me change it, i will change....
what do you think?
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

even if they are miku's colors, you could darken one and lighten the other, making a bigger contrast and thus improving the visual while still keeping her color ^^
B@z

Post by B@z »

so you think that too..
okay, i'll do something about it!
B@z

Post by B@z »

new update please read the first post
benny53

Post by benny53 »

Not going to lie, this game is actually rather fun. I played it for a good 10 minutes or so ^^