The Search for the Hidden Mana [Updated with Download Links]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Rytz

The Search for the Hidden Mana [Updated with Download Links]

Post by Rytz »

Greetings All:

So, it's been a long time coming but I finally feel like this project is at a satisfactory level for public demonstration. It's nowhere near complete and I can hardly call it a "game" even, since it's more of a simulation at this point in time. I'm sure problems / bugs / errors will come up but I was able to get most of the major components of the game working.

"TSFTHM" is following in the footsteps of other online 3D RPG's out today but I hope that it will become more like the large-scale games (MMORPG's). Irrlicht is the video engine and all of the other libraries I'm using are open-source / cross-platform.

My website, CrackerStudios.com, explains more about the game and has screenshots and videos as well (see the games / TSFTHM section). You can also get there by going to TSFTHM.com.

I tried to give as much credit to the external libraries as I could, so if anyone does download / test the client, please be sure to check out the "Credits" scene by clicking on the "Credits" button on the Control Panel. The credits button is only available while at the main login part / scene of the game. Make sure your volume is turned up :).

I'll try my best to keep the servers up. I keep an eye on them as often as I can. I haven't gotten to work with the server-side of things as much as the client, since more people will see the client-side.

If anyone gets a chance to test the game out, please leave me some feedback and let me know things went - you can post / PM me here or send me an email or call even (check the website).

Thanks again to Irrlicht and the community for helping me out in my quest to make an online game :).

=========================
[Client Download]
Client Download

[Media Links: Screenshots]
Gateway Scene
Audio Setup
Video Setup
Controls Setup
NPC 1
NPC 2
Networking
Chat
Examine 1
Examine 2
Examine 3
Examine 4
Room Map
Floor Map
OpenGL Water 1
OpenGL Water 2
Water & Portals
Well Map

[Media Links: Videos]
Account / PC Creation & Login
Maps & Zoning
PC Chat & Zoning
NPC Examination & Targeting
Game Options

[Major Accomplishments]
  • Client / server communication via TCP/IP and UDP
  • Account and character creation and login
  • Working GUI environment with interactive option menus
  • Player social communication (chat with bubbles)
  • Basic PC and NPC movement AI with collision detection
  • Dynamic visual map creation and working compass
  • 3D object examination window
  • Room "zoning" based on special mesh / map positions
  • Particle effects
~ Rytz
Last edited by Rytz on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Very nice, keep up the good work. Would like to see the art/modeling side of this project improve a bit too, are things going steadily in that department?
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Rytz

Post by Rytz »

BlindSide wrote:Very nice, keep up the good work. Would like to see the art/modeling side of this project improve a bit too, are things going steadily in that department?
Thanks - I've been solo with the project thus far, so I haven't had time to do much with the models / maps / art.

I tried getting a friend of mine that does 3D modeling involved but he got too busy with school (that's what he does at school).

I'm definitely looking for any artists / modelers that might be interested.